Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

I was not expecting this!

leeave96

You did good, but why the snow plow in North Carolina??

I can answer this for Van...

Every few years or so, you get a decent snow fall with accumulation that leaves the neighbors wishing they had a blade to scrape the driveway. I'm north of Van in VA and we get an occasional 8+ snowfall and when I drag out the Wheelhorse with front blade or the mighty 520H with snowblower, it is a cool event on my street.

Besides - there's always a pile of dirt or gravel that needs pushed around... :)

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

You did good, but why the snow plow in North Carolina??

I can answer this for Van...

Every few years or so, you get a decent snow fall with accumulation that leaves the neighbors wishing they had a blade to scrape the driveway. I'm north of Van in VA and we get an occasional 8+ snowfall and when I drag out the Wheelhorse with front blade or the mighty 520H with snowblower, it is a cool event on my street.

Besides - there's always a pile of dirt or gravel that needs pushed around... :)

Thank you Bill ! You gave a good performance as my Spokesperson :)

varosd

great find cobwebs and all!! :D

Wheel-N-It

OK guys, update time:

Picked up the 416 this morning. Brought it home and gave it a good bath, and then another bath, then a blow drying with the backpack blower. Then followed that up with a WD-40 bath and rubdown. I removed the seat for this due to the seat has some cracks, and I did not want to get the foam wet. Then it was time to grease everything that had a fitting so it would steer and roll easier when I pushed it from one place to another. Then it was pic taking time, and it looks pretty darn good eh? :)

post-5982-0-18071500-1354403505_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-48108500-1354403533_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-03923600-1354403555_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-72699100-1354403571_thumb.jp

• Like 3

TT

It looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

It must not have spent much time in the ocean air like many I've seen from down your way.

Wheel-N-It

It looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

It must not have spent much time in the ocean air like many I've seen from down your way.

Thank you TT. Actually I live about 160 miles in a straight line from the Atlantic Ocean. Fortunately due to that distance we do not have any corrosion problems from salt or ocean air currents. That is a blessing.

Wheel-N-It

Thank you Tim for the link to Kohler engines. I had that one tucked away myself:)]

According to the serial number the year of manufacture is 1985.

The serial number for the tractor is too faded for me to read, so for now I will say the whole thing is a 1985.

I guess for me, the two things I would say are weak links on a Wheel Horse are the seat, and the serial number information sticker on the seat/fender pan.

It is funny how the sticker is 100percent there and intact but the numbers are completely faded away.

bowtiebutler956

Alright, I'm officially jealous Van! :ROTF: Very nice find, and I'm ready for a video, so I can hear that big Thumper, thump! :teasing-poke:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Tankman

Very nice cleaning job! Looks great, a worker for sure.

Not an '85, must be an '86. The dash has the monitoring lights, my '85 ('88 414-8 does) does not. Looks like the steering has the same usual ailment. Been soaking the steering wheel for a week or two now but, did get the 1/4" x 2" roll pin out.

Removed the battery and bent the upper panel inside flange down tightened up the steering until I can remove the assembly. Working fine.

The '85 does not have the gas spring or slider assembly on the seat. The '88 does.

Both the '85 and '88 have 23 x 8.50 x 12 rear tires. Yours look great. What size are they?

Either way, a great Horse. The 416'll be the leader of the gang for sure.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Very nice cleaning job! Looks great, a worker for sure.

Not an '85, must be an '86. The dash has the monitoring lights, my '85 ('88 414-8 does) does not. Looks like the steering has the same usual ailment. Been soaking the steering wheel for a week or two now but, did get the 1/4" x 2" roll pin out.

Removed the battery and bent the upper panel inside flange down tightened up the steering until I can remove the assembly. Working fine.

The '85 does not have the gas spring or slider assembly on the seat. The '88 does.

Both the '85 and '88 have 23 x 8.50 x 12 rear tires. Yours look great. What size are they?

Either way, a great Horse. The 416'll be the leader of the gang for sure.

Thank you Tankman for staying on top of this thread. So for now I will think it's a 1986. I checked the engine numbers and the engine is at least a late 1985 model, so the tractor being a 1986 makes sense to me. I'm happy to hear you got the steering wheel roll pin out, those things can be a bugger. I guess it's my turn next to do that surgery.

I do have the slider on the seat but no gas spring. Thats ok with me, its one less thing to replace.

The tires on mine which I am sure are the original ones are 23 x 9.50 x 12. I think it will be wise for me to replace all four, as the front and rear tires on the right side will not hold air even for a day. I don't mind replacing the tires though, I want this 416 to be something I am very proud of when finished. BTW, I will probably put 10.50's on the rear. I think the rims are wide enough to handle the increased width.

Also to add, I did get it running yesterday afternoon. The engine has alot of compression which is good, it does not smoke, knock or make any funny noises which is also good. It does need the usual stuff though, like cleaning the fuel tank, replacing the fuel lines and adding a filter. I should rebuild the carb, replace points and condenser and spark plug wire.

Tankman, thank you for answering my PM question yesterday. I really do like the seat you have on yours. I replaced the seat on my 312 this summer, and was not able to find a universal seat bolt pattern that would match up with the sliders and hinged seat bracket from a 520H that I was going to use on my 312-8, so I had to use the original hinged seat bracket for the seat I bought. I drilled a couple of new holes in the old seat bracket to move the new seat back as far as it would go . Does anyone here know of a seat that will match up to the 520H seat bolt pattern?

• Like 1

bmuone

Good looking project.

Just another possible hint for the year...didn't the hood have the levers put in around '86? The 85's were smooth? I have a 417a and that was brought up when I was trying to determine the correct year. Either way a nice tractor!

Dayton

TT

I believe the hood louvers were a hydro-only "thing" back then.

Tankman

Changing tires, check out this information from Miller.

http://www.millertire.com/faqs/

Wheel-N-It

Good looking project.

Just another possible hint for the year...didn't the hood have the levers put in around '86? The 85's were smooth? I have a 417a and that was brought up when I was trying to determine the correct year. Either way a nice tractor!

Dayton

Dayton, you have been down this road too I see. I have a 417-A, and it has the louvered hood. Duke and I talked about that before I bought it, so he gave me a nice bit of Wheel Horse knowledge. Duke's is a 1985 417-A (smooth hood), whereas mine is a 1986 417-A (louvered hood). My 417 is a little newer, but Duke's 417 is alot better looking! Thats the Duke way :) Is your 417-A the one in your avatar??? If so, it's a good looking tractor.

TT, I think you are right regarding the "Hydro Only" thing.

Tankman, thank you for the link. This week at night I plan to remove all four wheels/tires from the 416, and replace them with a spare set of wheels/tires from an old 312-8. Then I can remove the worn out 416 tires and begin the process of stripping paint from the wheels. I may save that chore for one of the days I am off work for Christmas.

Stigian

Wow.. she cleaned up really well.. What a great barn find :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Small update;

I removed all four tires/wheels as two of the tires would not hold air. In their place I installed a extra set of wheels/tires from a 312. Now the 416 looks more like an old 310-8 due to the rear tires are 8.50's. I kinda like the look but its not going to stay that way. Probably will get some AGs on the rear and tri-ribs for the front. But the wheels have got to be cleaned and repainted before any new rubber goes on them. I may paint the wheels a different color, just don't know yet. Any suggestions?

Also due to other obligations I probably won't back to work on the 416 till this weekend. Plans then are to remove the fuel tank and give it a good cleaning. I've done this a couple times before so no big deal. Replacing the fuel line will go along with the newly cleaned tank. My helpful hint to ya'll for that is to splice the new fuel line on to the old fuel line, soap everything up and pull it through the tractor like pulling cable through conduit.

post-5982-0-83631600-1354671876_thumb.jp

Tankman

Just replaced my 416-8 1/4" fuel line although it was working OK.

The fuel line was hard, NOT flexible rubber lined. I prefer the flexible rubber line.

Tankman

Thank you Tim for the link to Kohler engines. I had that one tucked away myself:)]

According to the serial number the year of manufacture is 1985.

The serial number for the tractor is too faded for me to read, so for now I will say the whole thing is a 1985.

I guess for me, the two things I would say are weak links on a Wheel Horse are the seat, and the serial number information sticker on the seat/fender pan.

It is funny how the sticker is 100 percent there and intact but the numbers are completely faded away.

I'm guessing an '86. My '85 does not have the vertical assembly of indicator lights on the dash panel. The '85 is not a Magnum, a K series engine.

My '88 414-8 does have the indicator lights and is the Magnum engine.

'88 does not have the steering column ailment, '85 does. Knowing the previous owner, not much PM (preventative maintenance) for sure. Can't read the model number on either Horse although the stickers are there.

Wheel-N-It

Not much to report on tonight guys. I had about 10 minutes to work on the 416, so I removed the hinged seat mount and the rear fenders underneath to expose the fuel tank. Then I had to leave for a meeting. Tomorrow I plan to buy some new fuel hose to replace everything from the tank to the fuel pump, then the little piece from the fuel pump to the carb.

Question for you;

I forgot the check the size I need. Since its a K-341 16hp, shouldn't I use 5/16" ID fuel hose? Or should I go bigger, maybe some sort of slightly bigger metric size?

Kelly

1/4" fuel line, same size for all garden tractors I've ever worked on with air cooled engines.

ericj

most wheel horses that i know of use 1/4" fuel line, i think if 1/4" line can keep up to a 20 hp onan on a 520 it should be able to keep up to a 16 hp kohler

eric j

Wheel-N-It

Update;

I did not take a pic tonight, but the 416 is now driveable. I have cleaned the fuel tank, installed new fuel line. new fuel filter, new air filter, and quick cleaned the carb without removing it from the engine. I cleaned and polished the seat while it was off the tractor.

Anyway, the 416 fires right up and runs strong. The Big K engine settles right down to a nice idle too. The charging system works great. The muffler quiets the big K 341 just as it should. Right now the Castrol motor oil is draining out after about three hours run time. After all the Castrol is out, I will then fill the Kohler with Lubrication Engineers straight 30 weight motor oil ( and a couple of ounces of MMO ) ( thats my secret weapon ) :)

Next will be a new spark plug, change the transmission oil, replace one headlight sealed beam, and replace one tail light bulb. Then begin the search for some new tires. I may have to break bad and get some AG's for the rear, and some tri rib's for the front. I probably won't cross that bridge till late Winter or early Spring. Until then the 416 will just have to roll on the little 312 wheels and tires.

Thank you all for following this thread. I will continue to add more as I make progress, but for now I think most of the work is done to get it driveable, and me out of "Stress Mode".

Tankman

Sounds great Van! What's MMO (your secret weapon)?

I too had to replace a headlamp, dealer wanted $20, ouch! I found them online, they shipped to Pennsy from North Carolina, two for $20 including shipping. The lamps were $4.95 each.

I'm thinkin' AG's in the spring also. And more of course!

I like the 16hp Kohler too! I had a Cub 25hp vertical shaft, I got my "Courage" up and sold it.

The 16hp K Kohler seems much stronger. And of course the Horse is!

Wheel-N-It

Sounds great Van! What's MMO (your secret weapon)?

I too had to replace a headlamp, dealer wanted $20, ouch! I found them online, they shipped to Pennsy from North Carolina, two for $20 including shipping. The lamps were $4.95 each.

I'm thinkin' AG's in the spring also. And more of course!

I like the 16hp Kohler too! I had a Cub 25hp vertical shaft, I got my "Courage" up and sold it.

The 16hp K Kohler seems much stronger. And of course the Horse is!

I was wondering what happened to those two headlights :ychain:

OK, MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil. One ounce MMO per quart of motor oil is a good secret weapon. My Cub Cadet 1650 has a K-341, and that thing is a torgue monster for its size. I can already tell the K341 in the 416 is going to be plenty powerful too, especially considering this one is a gear drive, not a hydro model. The hydros soak up a couple of horsepower just running the pump.

I am glad to hear your 416 is running good. Life is too short to not have good running LAGT's :)

bowtiebutler956

Thats great news on the 416 Van!! :woohoo: I'll be looking forward to more pics, and especially come Spring time! Ags and tri ribs definitely are the way to go. :text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas: