Sign in to follow this  
chris sutton

2nd UK Wheelhorse Round-Up

chris sutton

i,ll wash them before july   :text-imsorry:

chris sutton

We are up to 25 Wheelhorse's now and still looking for more at Ardingly, if you want to come and join in with the biggest Wheelhorse gathering in the UK please get in touch

pmackellow

Entries need to be in by the end of the month for the programme, so if you have not entered yet please don't miss out....

neil

well ive just managed to get my first one ready for the show .

I will be bringing my GT14 to the show , I have just managed to get her going again after the flood damage , along with my commando 8 ,

I just have to get 4 more running now from the flood damage .

C121

C81

commando 8

1966 856

hope to have these done by the weekend

chris sutton

bring em all to Ardingly neil, we'll get them going over the weekend

neil

Ill see if i can get them on the trailer Chris , Thanx for the offer , im sure it wouldnt take much to get them going .

chris sutton

as of today we have 26 Wheelhorse's confirmed as well as an awning display of Wheelhorse history and the Euro Wheelhorse register, we just need to get Richard to come and a few more, it would be nice to get 30

chris sutton

There seems to be some misunderstanding regards "insurance" that has come to light today. If you have entered the 2nd Wheelhorse roundup and have put on your entry form that its insured and is'nt than can you contact me asap, if you think that your ride-on is insured on a club insurance you had better check it as most club insurance dont cover ride-on tractors. 

I have put in a lot of time to make this work and i dont want exhibitors to feel hounded but the show organisers are hotting up (the same as any other show)

If you havent got the proper insuance and have an accident make sure you have a fat wallet as the injured party will be sueing your ass off.

If you have made a multi booking and only have insurance for one you will be able to drive round the arena,

I'am talking to the section marshal today and trying to organise it so you can bring all your tractors and display them in the section behind a roped of a area to keep the public off them and will be a static display during the show opening times.

I dont want this event to fail so if you have any questions or just want a chat, then ring me, or pm me your number and i will ring you 

wheeledhorseman

Chris, a timely reminder about insurance. I was going to pm you with what follows but then thought I'd best share it with all.

I'm well aware of the need for insurance at shows through my years of military vehicle events and the fact that my son is a section martial at the Island Steam Fair. Following a couple of suggestions I got insurance for my tractors for Ardingly last year through NFU. I already had a big policy with them for house and contents, barn and contents and Public Liability for the land round it. 

Explaining exactly what I was going to do they said I wasn't covered as the tractors were not specifically mentioned on the policy. As a result I gave them details of the tractors including serial numbers, paid an additional premium and that was that I thought. Hmmm!

The renewal document has just come through for the whole policy so I thought I'd read through the details (i'm guilty of often not doing this) It's probably a good thing I did as this year they've added an 'endorsement' that effectively says - We will not pay for damage whist the Wheel Horse is outside your home or garden - which I take to mean effectively 'off site' so as to speak. No mention is made of the public liability that I checked was included last year but my guess is that they are saying they don't want to know if it's away at a show.

I will phone them tomorrow to find out what's going on, and it could just be because I have an all in one policy, but my advice to anyone that thinks they're insured through NFU should double check as thay may have changed their rules.

Having said that - where do I go for simple cost effective Public Liability insurance to take tractors not registered for road use to a show where they may be driven to the arena and back rather tan forming part of a static display?

Andy

Stigian

Funny you should bring up NFU Andy, I was on the phone to them yesterday trying to get cover for my 6X6..

Despite me saying several times that all I needed was Public Liability insurance, and the 6X6 is not road legal and will never be driven on the road, all they could/would offer me was 3rd party F and T for road use only!!

I also got the feeling that the main reason they didn't want to know was because I didn't have any other insurance with them!!!

Some how I don't think they will be getting my trade..

I hope to have an answer to your last question later this morning Andy

wheeledhorseman

Put the matter to the NFU who referred it to their underwriters. The outcome being that even LTs / GTs need to be insured for road use to comply with the Road Traffic Act which applies to showgrounds when open to the public. It confirmed what I already sort of knew from my other life as an exhibitor and means that my policy does not cover the tractors for show use, i.e. movement of the tractor(s) when the show is open. Others beware!

I'll check out some of the brokers that deal in show orientated insurance but looking through websites this tends to be for organisers and stall holders (i.e. static) and I would assume that Ardingly have covered static exhibits appearing in the Horticultural section under their show policy.

There is of course another potential twist to all this and that is if the RTA applies, as I believe it does, then is insurance enough or do they have to be road registered / taxed as well?

Andy

meadowfield

This whole subject is becoming a pita, it's a real shame that its going to turn people away form the shows. How did we all manage last year or the years before. I know ignorance is not an excuse, but we have all coped well for years...

Stigian

Well, insurance now sorted..... After a panic when I told them it had six wheels!!

In the end, beig a custom wheel hore (or more than four wheels) didn't change the price at all..

£39..   Cherished Car Insurance   01252 713148

It maybe worth giving them a Ring Andy, see what they can offer you..

Stormin

I need to get liability ins as well. Pain for just two shows a tear. I'll see what the NFU say to me and I'll give Cherished a call as well. Ian. £39 for a year or just one show?

neil

the question that i would like answered is , do you need insurance on your tractor if you intend not to drive or move it from the safety area and it is there just as an exhibit for the public to view ? 

In my mind this would mean that it should just fall under the shows organisers insurance as just being a static exhibit.

wheeledhorseman

I'm not an expert on this and every show will have done their own risk assesments as part of the show insurance / safety aspect but if you intend to ride on a tractor (to go to the arena) while the show is open to the public then the RTA applies and the tractor must be insured.

Static exhibits certainly should be covered by the show organisers insurance re public liability but they or their insurers may impose restrictions as part of their risk assessment to ensure safety i.e. certain exhibits being in a roped off area with no access to the public unless invited in under supervision. From experience in the non-tractor world of shows the section marshal / organiser is relied on to ensure that static things are displayed in a sensible and safe way on the day and that vehicles that move on the showground are insured.

I'm looking to insure just one tractor so that it can go to the arena, if that falls through then they'll be on static display. As Mark says, this is becoming a real PIA. Sadly common sense has gone out of the window now we live in the world of ambulence chasing lawyers.

We'll  get round this Neil, don't let it put you off. Look forward to meeting up at Ardingly.

Andy

meadowfield

back to the original post!!!

My plan now is that my dad brings one of the horses down from Yorkshire on his trailer, I have booked friday night in a local hotel....

If the weather is good then I'll have a few beers and set up camp saturday and sleep under the stars :)

mark

pmackellow

Looking forward to seeing you all at the show, most of the paperwork would have gone in the postbox yesterday so should be with you soon

neil

Not too long to wait now.  its gonna be a good un this year , some interesting  tractors and other stuff  and even some unusual tractors  attending so i hear .

lets hope the weather is kinder to us this year .

Anglo Traction

So will you need Insurance to move your Tractors from your Transport to the Static Display Area and back ?. I wonder where the Line is drawn. Do people that use those large Electric Wheelchairs have to have Insurance in public and at the Shows in case they hit a person?.  I think the waters are too muddy for me to consider the expense and hassle of Showing anything.

neil

You will be  a big loss to the show Richard as i thing your works are well worth showing off , but i fully understand your reasons , I do wondewr how many other people are put off  showing their pride & joy by these rules .

i think the show organisers should take care of the insurance as they are the ones that are making the money out of the people that exhibit.

chris sutton

as far as i know Neil, most of the people that have booked are still coming so i think its still going to be an excellant show

pmackellow

Gents, I am afraid some of you are missing the point here and making some statements that are not correct.

Ardingly is NOT run for profit, it costs a large amount of money to put on (over £80k in 2012) and any money made is donated to charity (Macmillan Cancer for 2013) or ploughed back into the show.

I have rallied vintage machines for over 30 years and EVERY MACHINE I have shown, be it motorcycle, tractor or horticultural machine has had Public Liability insurance... the insurance also gives fire and theft cover so if your machines are either stolen or reduced to a burnt hulk you have cover... it is not just for rallies...

After last years appalling weather the show lost £10,000 so don't think the show is a money making machine because it most certainly is not.

meadowfield

Paul,

Sadly many people do not understand the amount of money it costs to host these shows. Our local show is done purely for charity and its bl00dy hard to make it!

It costs us around 25k to host, and fortunately because its a cause close to many people's hearts we get good sponsorship and support thought the gate. In order to allow the event to run we have to get the charity itself to provide cover for public liability.

We do request cover on exhibits, but its so hard to police we have to rely on trust. I guess Ardingly has always been the same, will someone actually check every exhibit?? I doubt it... But fully understand the sentiment in this day and age.

neil

IMany apologies , i  stand corrected on my above comment about organisers making money from the shows i didnt realise they were all done for charities

I didnt mean to offend anyone with the comment , just a wrong choice of words , sometimes hard to get your meaning across in these threads

i have clearly hit raw nerves , but it wasnt intended in that way .

I know you guys work hard on getting shows together .

Edited by neil