Sign in to follow this  
clemedc

K91 Recoil

clemedc

Will this cup and recoil work on a K91? The reason I am curious is because my suburban 400 came with its original K91 and it had a starter cup like this but it was missing the recoil and all the tin. Is this perhaps the correct starter cup? My other k91 has the aluminum cup with several small teeth and a different recoil than this.

http://recoil.jpg

sorekiwi

I'm definately not an expert on these, but my RJ had a Tecumseh recoil on it like that one. The cup that came with the tractor was however not deep enough to work properly.

I ended up finding another Tecumseh cup that was too deep, and shortening it. I think I remember that the center hole was too big, so you had to be careful to centre the cup on the flywheel.

Hope this is of at least some help.

IMG_1937.jpg

EDIT (still not awake!!)

The Tecumseh cups are stamped steel like the one in your picture. The hole in the middle of yours looks smaller than I remember for the Tecumsehs, so it could possibly be the right one.

clemedc

Ok thanks for the reply

VinsRJ

The recoil and cup you have in your pic, as well as, the recoil and cup in Sorekiwi's pic will work on your Kohler

The original aluminum recoil cup you mention is to a Fairbanks recoil which would have been the original style for a 400 with Kohler. It was the smaller sized Faibanks with the mounting legs casted into the recoil body. I do not have a pic of one right now but I'm sure another member will be able to provide you with a pic if you want.

VinsRJ

That is a Fairbacks cup.

clemedc

Thanks I have been a little confused with the starters since I have 3 different starters on 3 different k91 and that one is incomplete and now I hear about people using Tecumseh parts as well.

VinsRJ

Techie parts will work on a K91.... there were several recoils which will work also but not original for your 400.

1) Kohler had a recoil

2) Early Kohlers (pre-1958ish) had a Schnake Recoil / no cop but a special crank nut

3) Fairbanks

Which ever one you use just make sure you have the correct cup, there were various cups for these recoils.

clemedc

Hi Vin

I found this on that Auction site Fleapay it looks like the recoil on my other K91 with the fairbanks recoil and cup. Would you happen to know if it is the same? Or if it will also work and the cup?

http://teccyrecoil.jpg

Here is whats on my K91 and thanks for the help

http://SANY1753.jpg