Sign in to follow this  
joel_400

62-379

joel_400

Many of you have seen pics of my 953. I am now trying to figure out how rare this tractor is...seems like everybody is really interested in it for some reason. A friend of mine who is big into the 1054s and gt14s says he has never seen the steering wheel it has on it. Is that wheel that rare? I have previously been told it is somewhat rare, but not sure how rare it really is. Judging by the serial number it is pretty early. Let me know what you guys think.

Joel

post-2265-0-09677000-1353551240_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hammerhead

Nice 953 and yes, the steering wheel is what I would call super rare! I have only seen 2 or 3 in my life. That is the reason people are into your tractor and the low Serial Number, aside from the fact that they are a very nice luxury tractor by 1963 standards! Plenty of good options on these tractors, head and tail lights, hydraulic lift, and electric start. Alot of ground clearance for gardening work. I have one of the steering wheel center caps like yours on my parts shelf, it is made of brass and is quite rare. Good score on this machine! KJ

AMC RULES

Anyway we can see more of your rare 953, as I know zilch about them.

JimmyJam

I have not even heard of a 953! Lets see more pics!!!

• Like 1

joel_400

Im not sure that the center cap is brass on mine, pretty sure its plastic. Maybe its more rare that way though as plastic isnt as tough as brass! Haha

Sparky

Hmmm....never seen that type of steering wheel before. My neighbor has a small herd of 1054's but I dont think any of them has that wheel. Gotta be a 1963 only wheel :scratchead: .

Mike..........

"D"- Man

Hello Joel, I agree with hammerhead, the steering wheel is not rare it is super rare! I myself have only seen two others, one of which was my fathers. One thing I really liked about the center cap was you could take it out and store the ignition key in the steering wheel and put the center cap back on and no one would know it was there. Really nice original early 953 you have there. Mark.

Kelly

I've owned a early 953 with with the ross steering gear box, later 953's had the fan gear steering, but mine still had the normal 953 1054 style steering wheel, I've never seen one like this, and that is a low serial no. but WH was not very good at keeping track of the serial no.s.

520HC

it is a little rare, but I have a 953 with that wheel.

520HC

Actually, I looked closer today, and have 2 953's with that steering wheel. Serial# 602 and 728.

evanloock

All early 953's with the Ross steering gear came with that steering wheel.

• Like 1

Kelly

unless my 953 had the wheel changed it had the normal 953, 1054 wheel, but was splined to fit the ross gear box steering shaft.

evanloock

Anything is possible but my 953 with serial 62-921 has a Ross steering gear and the aforementioned steering wheel. The 1963 brochure also shows this steering wheel on the 953.

joebob

I'm with Evanloock the early 953 with ross steering boxes had that wheel, mine is 799 and has that wheel, all the early 953 I have seen has had that wheel.

Edited by joebob