Sign in to follow this  
KEN NABER

my new suburban

KEN NABER

fellow members

my newly acquired 400 is missing lift rods and levers, foot pedals etc. i have acquired some of these parts from ebay and have noted an item called a lift cable. also a rear lift cable. are these the same? what does it lift? is this item for grass attachment? is rj 58-59 same as suburban?

thanks

ken

Coadster32

Congrats on your new aquisition. (pics are always welcome)

Anyhow, a RJ58-59 are not suburbans. You have the first year suburban at 1960. The only cable on your tractor runs to a rear slot hitch from the lift lever/handle. It's used to lift up a rear plow or other such attachments. A cutting deck would mount under the center of the tractor and would be lifted by a steel rod/bar. Good luck with it.

KEN NABER

Chris and fellow members

thank you for the input, sorry my question regarding the rj 58 and the suburban was very vague, what i meant was the lift cable for the rj the same as the suburban.

While on the subject are there other models aside from 60-61 that are referred to as suburban, it seems that there is.?

Thanks

Ken

TT

I know it was previously discussed somewhere on the forum, but the tractors were for marketed for use by the 'suburban' homeowner. Chevrolet and Sears were already using the 'Suburban' name on their products, so I doubt that the Ponds actually intended it to be used as part of the actual name of the tractor - especially since the model number was already a fool-proof identification.

The two models produced in 1960 - the 400 and 550 - did use the rear slot hitch to raise the mower deck. An L-shaped piece of steel was inserted into the hitch and a rod connected it to the back of the deck. When the hitch was raised, the rod pulled back on the deck. Because of the four-link mounting arrangement, the deck lifted as it was pulled rearward.

Example photo:

CasualObserver

While on the subject are there other models aside from 60-61 that are referred to as suburban, it seems that there is.?

Yes. Like Terry said, it's been discussed before. See this post ---->

I know it was previously discussed somewhere on the forum, but the tractors were for marketed for use by the 'suburban' homeowner. Chevrolet and Sears were already using the 'Suburban' name on their products, so I doubt that the Ponds actually intended it to be used as part of the actual name of the tractor - especially since the model number was already a fool-proof identification.

My interpretation is that the 1960 tractors did include the "Sububan" title, as the model numbers for those were documented as ST-400 and ST-550. ST being short for Suburban Tractor.... but yes, I agree that otherwise it was used as a generalization of the category of tractor.

KEN NABER

Please, any picks of this lift HARDWARE AND HITCH arrangement appreciated (grass attach)

CasualObserver

I just put pics and some measurements of it up a couple weeks back if you look down or back a page or two here in the implement section

Sent from my Galaxy S iii with Tapatalk 2

CasualObserver

Or are you talking about pics of the cable and slot hitch?

Sent from my Galaxy S iii with Tapatalk 2

KEN NABER

yes, the cable and slot hitch, sorry new to this site, still finding out how to use site. think i saw a post with measurements of a rod and pedal no cable. thank you again casual observer, I am a novice.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL !!!!!!

Edited by KEN NABER