Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Why do you run Wheelhorse vs another old iron brand tractor?

leeave96

Let me give a little of background on how I swerved into the Wheelhorse tractors.

I grew-up around a Sears SS 14 garden tractor. In it’s day, I think it was considered a cheaper tractor (almost like MTD is regarded today), but the machine was tough as nails, was used hard and abused by different family members over the years.

When I bought my house some 17 years ago, I quickly found I needed a “riding†mower. I bought a used JD rear engine rider – which turned out to be a lemon. A buddy of mine had a Sears Custom 10XL tractor that he received as part of an estate settlement and he wanted to get rid of it, so I bought it. The tractor was not at nice as the old SS-14 I grew-up with and had a very tired – old Tecumseh engine in it, didn’t have much power and the gear drive mowing deck spindles were noisy and looked like an accident waiting to happen. I needed a “new†garden tractor.

My Father in Law had a Wheelhorse 520H tractor at a camp of his and it seemed very similar to the Sears tractor in that it had a mule drive belt that went around the front axle. Though his was a hydro, I was interested in a gear drive and again, like the Sears, the Wheelhorse was a 8 speed with hi-lo range. So with the Sears tractors long gone, I decided to buy a Wheelhorse.

Somewhere along the way, I got side tracked looking at a Simplicity Sovereign – but the price was much higher than the Wheelhorse.

This was in 1998 and I found out that 1997 was the last year for the cast iron Kohler Magnum engine, so I started searching for a left over 1997 model – and found one. THAT’S HOW I CAME TO OWN ANOTHER WHEELHORSE TRACTOR – VS ANOTHER BRAND.

So how did you swerve into Wheelhorse and why do you run them vs another old iron brand tractor?

On a side note, over the past couple of years, I decided to buy a couple of other make tractors, namely an IH Cub Cadet and a Simplicity Sovereign just to see what they were all about. While these are great tractors, the Wheelhorse tractors are still my go-to tractors and I have found them to be the simplest to work-on and it just seems to me they have a gazillion attachments too. I’m especially excited about converting my two 520H tractors to Matt’s foot pedal design. IMHO, this mod transforms these fine old pieces of iron to modern tractors of today.

So again – Why do you run Wheelhorse tractors vs an other old iron brand?

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

groundhog47

Let me give a little of background on how I swerved into the Wheelhorse tractors.

I grew-up around a Sears SS 14 garden tractor. In it’s day, I think it was considered a cheaper tractor (almost like MTD is regarded today), but the machine was tough as nails, was used hard and abused by different family members over the years.

When I bought my house some 17 years ago, I quickly found I needed a “riding†mower. I bought a used JD rear engine rider – which turned out to be a lemon. A buddy of mine had a Sears Custom 10XL tractor that he received as part of an estate settlement and he wanted to get rid of it, so I bought it. The tractor was not at nice as the old SS-14 I grew-up with and had a very tired – old Tecumseh engine in it, didn’t have much power and the gear drive mowing deck spindles were noisy and looked like an accident waiting to happen. I needed a “new†garden tractor.

My Father in Law had a Wheelhorse 520H tractor at a camp of his and it seemed very similar to the Sears tractor in that it had a mule drive belt that went around the front axle. Though his was a hydro, I was interested in a gear drive and again, like the Sears, the Wheelhorse was a 8 speed with hi-lo range. So with the Sears tractors long gone, I decided to buy a Wheelhorse.

Somewhere along the way, I got side tracked looking at a Simplicity Sovereign – but the price was much higher than the Wheelhorse.

This was in 1998 and I found out that 1997 was the last year for the cast iron Kohler Magnum engine, so I started searching for a left over 1997 model – and found one. THAT’S HOW I CAME TO OWN ANOTHER WHEELHORSE TRACTOR – VS ANOTHER BRAND.

So how did you swerve into Wheelhorse and why do you run them vs another old iron brand tractor?

On a side note, over the past couple of years, I decided to buy a couple of other make tractors, namely an IH Cub Cadet and a Simplicity Sovereign just to see what they were all about. While these are great tractors, the Wheelhorse tractors are still my go-to tractors and I have found them to be the simplest to work-on and it just seems to me they have a gazillion attachments too. I’m especially excited about converting my two 520H tractors to Matt’s foot pedal design. IMHO, this mod transforms these fine old pieces of iron to modern tractors of today.

So again – Why do you run Wheelhorse tractors vs an other old iron brand?

Thanks,

Bill

Bought mine :wh: used in 81 or 82, sat on and started a IH Cub Hydro, loved the Kohler sound, sat on the WH, started it up, loved the Kohler sound, loved the gearing, loved the look and only talked dealer down $50. Have never regreted only that mistreated :angry-nono:WH and didn't take proper care and is costin' :ranting:me now, but is still my joy!!! :happy-jumpeveryone:

Final answer © didn't cost $8000 and .5 acres. Now if had more acerage we'd be talkin' about sumpin different!

nylyon

My dad bought his new in 1974, C-160 Automatic. I basically grew up using that tractor, so when it came time for me to own my own home, there was one choice. I bought a new 1994 416-H. Nuff said!

• Like 2

zieg72

My first WH was a '96 269H... which I asked my brother to do the research in getting me the best quality for the $. Himself a JD fan found the Wheel Horse/Toro was overall the best value... I couldn't afford the 520H at the time but always kept the brochure of the 1996 lineup. Well over 10 years of great service and minimal upkeep I found my '92 520H and have been hooked ever since. I found this forum and it cemented my dedication to this brand of tractors. Can't beat the reliability, resources and relatively reasonable cost to keep these fine machines going. I am not a collector but somehow I have 3, go figure. Bought and sold several 400-500 series to finally settle on the line up I have. I would have the say the people connected to this hobby is the main reason I continue to dabble and someday will expand the fleet as space is increased. Many thanks to those who have helped me over the years and Karl for keeping one of the finest forums on the internet.

• Like 2

SousaKerry

Grew up on the farm, Dad only farmed 80 acres and taught Jr. High Biology part time, so we didn't have much money growing up. Dad ran junk that no-one else wanted we had 2 Alice Chalmers B-110's before them was a Sears I think too young to remember, When I got to High School Dad was farming full time and heavily into specialty crops and green houses. We picked p a Kubota GT-52000?? 3 speed with a 2 cylinder diesel built like a tank but hard to shift. He traded that for a hydro with a 3 cylinder engine.

Flash forward 10 years and I had a place of my own with steep hills, had an MTD POS that was self destructing. Buddie of mine had just refurbished and RJ-58 and put the bug into my ear. A wheel Horse C-125 Auto came up for sale at work for $50 but it was buried in a pile of shingles where it broke down for 3 years.

Got it running and drove it out of there best dang machine that I own, the thing handled my hills like they weren't there, then the rod let loose, long story short 2 re-powers later it is now a C-175(another $50 find at work) I don't have the hills anymore and live in a trailer park but I still got my Wheel Horses

CRE1992

I am only 20 and have had my fair share of tractors. I started out with a very very nice 1995 520H which I paid A LOT for. Then I picked up a very nice 1995 416H for $380 soon after .I picked up a 1987 414-8 for $80 that sat outside for 5 years but started right up and ran fine. I then found a nice 2001 314-8. Then I sold all of them to buy a 72" Dixie Chopper. This last year between June - November. I still have the Dixie Chopper.

This February I bought a nice original Cub Cadet 1000. While it was a very nice tractor, I decided it was not for me. In March I picked up a very nice Bolens Husky 1000. In May I bought a 418A which was okay but I did not like it as much as the 416H I had. In late June I ventured into New York and met Fireman (Jeff) and Ken B and did some exchanging. I bought a nice power king 1614 and Ken got a very nice all original Suburban 551. (He is still kicking himself for letting that one go!) Sometime in July, my mom wanted a tractor she that was easy for her to use. So I spent some money and got a John Deere 325 with a snow blower, mower, vacuum bagger and very nice dump cart.Then someone came on here and offered up a free GT14 from Kentucky. I had my dad ship it up from Lexington. I sold the 418A in September. Last week I did some trading and got a nice 1979 C161 from Ken which I traded a 551 Suburban and a 633 for. The GT14 will be going to a couple people in Pennsylvania.

I plan on holding onto the PK 1614, the Dixie Chopper, the JD 325, and the C161. The C161, 1614 will both have plows and the JD 325 will have the snow thrower mounted for this winter.

As for the comparison from wheel horses to other tractors. I feel that while some people think that wheel horses are very simple tractors, so are others. Just people do not realize it. The cub 1000 was extremely simple also. However I like the horses better than the tractors I have had. They are easy to work on, simple, and a joy to ride on. Also they have a fan base which I find far better, friendlier, and more helpful than any other old garden tractors out there. While they might not be as ergonomic or powerful as other garden tractors, they make up for it. And are top notch in my book.

Because of my inability to hold on to any one particular tractor at a given time, some members on here have dubbed me the "Flipper".

Here are pictures of my past tractors:

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Stuff002.jpg

025.jpg

93f4323a.jpg

a5bd9dee.jpg

8C1F7D8B-6C14-40FF-AE78-1B3F7ADE156C-3764-00000403D2DE8E86.jpg

The ones that are staying thus far:

IMG_0955.jpg

829d279a.jpg

cc522c4b.jpg

wheelhorse.jpg

• Like 1

Don1977

My first encounter with Wheel Horse was an old ball burner with a geared mowing deck don't know the model. This was 1960 on a summer job washing and waxing cars at a car lot. Also had to mow a field behind the lot. Didn't need a mower until I built my house in 1975. I tried using my dad's 30" Snapper after I got the lawn fixed and it was too small to get done in a reasonable time. I went strait to the Wheel Horse dealer and bought a 1977 C-120 with a 48" deck, he assured me it had enough power for the 48" deck. I think now he didn't have any larger engine tractors at the time. I know now I should have got a C-160. I ran the 12 HP Kohler for 13 years, installed a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton Vanguard ran it for 20 years changed to an 18 HP Vanguard in 2010.

SAM_0163.jpg

• Like 1

krazy_horse

First, I must say it is you Wheel Horse people. I have become friends with several of you guys and hope to do so with a lot more. I like other brands and have owned several and still own a green and yellow one as they were all ways popular down south. My first Wheel Horse was a 1974 D-200 and it was a Man.This was in 84 or 85, I traded it off for a cub. Then in the 90's Saw one for sale in the Market Bulletin. I have enjoyed any thing air cooled since my first Cushman scooter in 1957. All and all I found I liked the red one's the best.Mrs. K. Horse say's I have enough horses, we will see as I would like to find a 702 and a 1054 and, and? Looking forward to the 2013 Big wheel horse show again!! Regards jim ..krazy_horse

IthacaJeff

Very simple. . .

Grew up in suburban So. Calif. No lawn to speak of but my engineer father would remark that

used quality is better than new junk.

Forward to college. . . worked for the local town parks and rec dept mowing grass in the summer.

Used Gravelys for brush hogging and Wheelhorses.

Forward to being a grown up with a house an a large yard to mow. Wanted quality, could only pay

for used. Thought abouts Cubs, Gravelys, and WHs . Colleagues' husband was selling his 310-8.

Didn't know much in particular about specific WHs, or costs, but for $100 and a new battery it had

to be a good deal. That was 12 years ago and the 310 is still my workhorse, reserving the mowing

for the 416-8.

Now have an old Deutz-Allis 1920 (Simplicity Sunstar) with a 60" deck for faster mowing. But, boy

this sucker is complex in comparison. I like simple and durable.

Jeff

MalMac

Starting back in the 50's we run a Wheel Horse dealership out of are farm. By the time I was in 3 grade I was working helping assemble the new tractors out of crate, other than get in the way of my Dad and Grandpa I manage to put the front wheels on. Then when I got older I was the guy who would take customers out and demon straight some of the attachments. So I guess you can say I have been around them my whole life. There were other tractors that came to the shop for repair. Some of the tractors were nice tractors and had some nice features but Wheel Horse was always the favorite and always the by far the easiest to work on.

• Like 6

AMC RULES

OH easy!

Because :wh: is the only LAGT AMC made.

post-3498-0-95760400-1353121314_thumb.jp

• Like 3

squonk

I started out on a 64 604 as a kid. When I got my house I found an A-81. Then I got a Cub 100. I didn't like how the deck went on and then the engine started blowing out the breather. I bought a new1990 210-H. Best tractor I ever had. It never broke mowin or plowin but I needed something bigger for snow. I got the PK 2414 and built a loader. I always liked C-series styling and had a chance to get a 160 Hydro. At the big show I found the 704 just like the 604 I had as a kid except with the Kohler as opposed to the tempermental Tecky and had to have it.

can whlvr

started out on my grama,s wheelhorse in the early 70,s on her horse farm,then when i bought my first house had to own one,bought a new 308-8 and have owned one or 2 :eusa-whistle: ever since

welderman85

i got my start helping a buddy build a puller out of a raider 10. we put a 18 hp twin in it and went pulling. i thought it was cool so i was going to build one. i found a c-101 in the woods buy my house and for 50.00 it was mine. after i started searching the internet i found out how cool these machines are and i restored it and still own it today. the are very strong and hard workers. I work on tractors for my neibghor he likes cubs and case. and in my opion they dont really compare to wheel horses

whc160

My dad bought his new in 1974, C-160 Automatic. I basically grew up using that tractor, so when it came time for me to own my own home, there was one choice. I bought a new 1994 416-H. Nuff said!

Like Karl my Dad bought his C-160 8-speed new in the spring of 1975 and I grew up on it. The C-160 was not the first tractor I drove, that is the 656 that was given to me by my grandma's neighbor after he passed. Back to the C-160 bug. The second summer I had my house found a twin to Dad's C-160 with a one year old 48" deck. Dad already had other attachments so it seemed to make sense to get the same tractor & share. Then my next two found me & I found the last one at Kelly's. The C's are great workers & simple to work on. I have worked on other makes of tractors & some of them are also simple to work on but still not a :wh: .

• Like 1

truckin88

As a flipper myself...I love the fixing and building part....I have had many brands but WHs are the only with as knowledgable and friendly of a forum as RS. Easy the work on, great price point, run forever, great supply of new and used parts at dealers and online.

baerpath

For us it was like Welderman85.

Started when the boy's wanted to get into GT pulling. Each bought their own brand of tractor. A cub 100, JD 120 and a Raider 12. Long story short the cub blew 6 rears before it left, the JD could pull great some days and others nope. The Raider just kept on pulling, in one weekend we broke 2 10 pinion rears on it. Swapped to an 8 pinion and took care of that.

Now it's 15yrs later we all pull Wh's in stock and sport stock and I have picked up a few spare horses lol. Some we take to PA and other shows others are workers and we still pull WH's

Duane

"D"- Man

The first Wheel Horse I ever saw was at my uncle's who lived next door to my Father. He had an early model 953 in the mid to late 70's. He said he could drive it up his clothesline post. I was just a teenager at that time and said, "There ain't no way you can drive that up that post.". He lined the tractor up to the post gave it some gas it started to pushing out the post till it leaned enough to raise the front end of the tractor off the ground and continued up the post till the tractor was vertical. I would have never believed it unless I saw it myself. My Father bought the tractor with a mowing deck, a dozer/snow plow, a garden plow, and a disc. We eventually did a disassembly sandblast and repaint of the whole thing, although; the colors we choose were J.D. green and yellow. This tractor was burned up in a garage fire in 1987, and the insurance company had someone come and get it a Wheel Horse dealer in Pandora, Ohio. Years later I saw a late model 953 in a man's barn and asked if it was for sale the owner said no. Sometime after I was at the same place and asked about it again he said it threw a rod I asked if he wanted to see it. He asked would I give $50.00 for it? It came with a deck and plow. I am currently restoring it. I also have a 1054 that is my worker. I try to teach my sons "if you buy used you will get abused" but the exception is Wheel Horse I don't see how you can get abused buying used if it's a fair price. Mark.

Ken B

Hey Charles. you just remember who gave you your Nic-names! Lol! Not only are you known as "Flipper", I have also given you the title of the "Locator". If you can't locate it, it ain't out there! Many of us here have benefited from tractors you have Located and Flipped, and always at very reasonable prices or barters. You can name your biz. L&F Services! "(Locate and Flip) Hey, not many guys have their own theme song!

On another note, though CT is chock full of Wheel Horse's It was a very rare sight to actually see one back when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. I started out playing with tractors at a very young age. There was an old round hood that an old guy used in the neighborhood that I would see using every once in a while. I loved getting the chance to see him pushing snow with that little tractor, If I had to guess I think it may have been a 552.

I grew up on a private road and by the time I was about 10 we had a new neighbor at the very end of the road, he was a Major League Baseball player by the name of Joe Lahoud. Joe and his brother Mike were real cool dudes! The first winter they were living here they would clear the long private road with a C-160. It was a very bad winter, lots of snow. I was always out there watching Joe or Mike push snow. That only lasted a yr. because the next winter they were using a couple of souped up Dodge 4x4's.! Well, one was an early 70's Power Wagon and the other a mid 70's Snow Commander, All I knew at the time is they were real nice trucks, both had 4-speeds and they sounded wicked. By the time I was 13 or so I helped one of my friends in the neighborhood cut lawns with his Dads mint B-80. Man, what a nice tractor that was!

I have had and restored MANY different brands of tractors thru the yrs. You can't beat the quality of the Wheel Horse and parts availability. I was a big part of the local Cub Cadet group of guys about 8 yrs ago or so, we were a very active group but, just like that, it all faded away and I sold all of my restored Cubs. I guess I was always a Wheel Horse guy since way back in the day, now it has been finalized. The best tractors and people are right here.

• Like 1

welderman85

i thought of something to add to what i said before i got my start with pulling but that was i lived in town/city i had a small backyard so i had no need for a rider to cut with but the hores kept pileing up. buy the time i got marryed and moved i had three. we moved to our new house with 7 acres 4 or witch is grass that i mow. after i moved out here i bought a rough gt1142 and a 211-5 then follwed a 314h. those tractors were beat up and rusty but kept running.my wifes family thought i was nuts to keep buying and working on old junk( theres words not mine). even my wife didnt really understand she just new it was my hobby so it was ok. untill yesterday i wanted to pull my jeep to the barn i have the motor half tore down so i couldnt drive it.so i got out the trusty 314h and tow t across the yard to the perfect spot in he barn all by my eslf with the 314 when she got home from she couldnt belive it worked. all i said is its a wheel horse it can do anything.

Wheel-N-It

I was never around WH's as a kid, but would occasionally see one in a magazine or Dealership when out of town on vacation. I always liked them. It must have been the lines along with the color, as I had very little knowledge of the Kohler enines verses anything else. When I was 33 years old my old Snapper mower was getting tired, my yard was getting bigger, and it was time for an upgrade. I decided to go to the TORO Dealer to buy a TORO because my Dad always had TORO push mowers and they always ran well for us. We had a Simplicity 728 rider which was an awesome little riding mower but I wanted to check out the TORO first.

So Saturday rolled around and I went to the Dealer, and low and behold I discovered right then and there that TORO was making Wheel Horses. Instantly I was totally hooked, and bought the most expensive one I could afford (312-8) and still have and use that same one today. I have bought a 417-A since then to give the 312 a companion, and after Christmas I plan to get serious about buying a 520 in reallreally good shape to round out the little collection of LAGT's I now have. I have a great running, hard working IH Cub Cadet 1650 that I keep a front mounted push blade on, also the same little Simplicity 728 we had when I was a kid, and a 1969 John Deere 140 H3, but the Wheel Horses will always be my favorite, and I don't see myself ever being a collector of any other brand. I guess I'm destined to forever be a Wheel Horse kind of guy, and thats not a bad thing :wh:

• Like 1

prondzy

Because its a horse of course! Mostly because of memories growing up around them.

KC9KAS

My 1st Wheel Horse (B-80) was given to me by my wife's nephew. I started reading about Wheel Horse GT here and other places. Started looking for others, and the reat is history.

Another reason I thought WH were the brand to collect.....There was a WH dealer in the county years ago and I thought (WRONG) there may be more tractors and implements around!

truckin88

I think the use of attachments that can be used on machines across decades really benefits the hobby too. A machine could be dead, a wheel horse is never dead, there are always parts and attachments that will work on plenty of other machines

• Like 1

ricksrj58

my first horse is a 1958 rj that my grandfather bought brand new.when i was little i could not wait to visit so i could hop on the little red tractor and mow the yard or plow the driveway.he passed it on to my father who in turn passed it on to me and now i have many rjs along with other wheelhorses.

100_0547.jpg

• Like 1