Sign in to follow this  
jgun45879

518-H Tractor.........

jgun45879

Hi, I'm looking at a late 80's 518-H tractor and have a few questions. First, would this transmission be the eaton 1100 or the lighter duty 700? Second, it has an 18hp Briggs twin engine. Good engine or bad? Thanks for any input. Jim.

Kelly

If it has manual lift it is a Eaton 700, if hyd. lift it's a Eaton 1100, I thought the 518 was Onan powered??

Sparky

Could it actually be an GT1800 or GT1848 instead of a 518 :scratchead: ? They both use the same sheetmetal (diff color tho) but the GT has a Briggs twin.

Mike.............

Kelly

Both of the work horses used the eaton 1100

strong vincent

I have a 520 H in the classifieds. It has the 20Hp Onan and it is a mowing monster!

TT

A 516/518 has the wide upper hoodstand and a dash layout similar to a 520.

It would be tough to mistake one for a repainted WorkHorse.

518H001.jpg

kpinnc

Another possibility would be the 518-H was re-powered at some point with an opposed Briggs. Stranger things have happened...

jgun45879

Thanks for the replies. Yes, its a 518H and it had evidentely been repowered with a Briggs twin. It has manual lift. Is the Eaton 700 any good? Thanks.

Kelly

The 700 is not a heavy duty trans, basicly a mower trans, not designed for ground engauging attachemnts, like bottom plows, disk, ect.... I might even think twice about a snow plow for heavy use, being the machine is now 25+ years old.

kpinnc

On another note- one that has probably been said many times too often, It is fairly simple to swap the transmission over to the 1100. The "gearbox" is identical between 1100- equipped machines, it's just a smaller pump.

I would get the 518-H (if it's a reasonable price, and is functional)), and start looking for a donor machine for the heavier pump and hydraulics. As long as the original transmission works, you have time to locate another one. The 700-series pump is the weak link of the domestic 518-H, BUT it's still a nice machine. My original 518-H trannie was very strong and fast. I only swapped it later to add hydraulics.

Good luck regardless.

• Like 1