Sign in to follow this  
pumper.atv

418-a opinions

pumper.atv

i have a chance to buy a 418-a for $150 with deck that is not running due to broken rod owner started to tear motor and tractor apart to rebuild and restore. I have not had any experience with the newer horses and was wondering what you guys thinks about these

:text-feedback:

truckin88

If the deck is nice it is worth that alone. I think it is an eaton 11 you could alway swap the motor.

Wheel-N-It

Send us some pics of that thing so we can give some informed input.

JackC

The 418-a is a great machine. I believe the 418-a was only offered in 1987 so it is somewhat rare.

Replacing a rod in the Kohler engine should not be that difficult if that is all that is wrong with it. Used rods are for sale on eBay. There is also a Kohler 18 Magnum for sale on ebay for about $425 that may fit. The parts of the machine are certainly worth a lot more the $150 but are you really up to fixing it?

pumper.atv

fixing them up is not a problem for me its that its over 3 hrs away one way and was wondering if it was truly worth it

post-1188-0-84088000-1352777002.jpg post-1188-0-03825000-1352776991.jpg

leeave96

If fixing it up is no problem, including the $$$'s needed for the engine, I'd jump on it. Heck - I'd jump on it for the deck and tractor chassis, between them you can get your $$$'s back for parts.

Good luck,

Bill

JackC

It looks to be very clean. It must have been kept inside. It looks like it would be very easy to clean it up. You could put many different engines in it although I would want to fix the original engine or find another twin Kohler that would be an easy drop in.

I really like the automatics and I really like the twin Kohler engines. There are a lot of parts available. I also like the stick on the floor rather than on the column like the newer 91 to 97 machines. The drive belt idler pulley likely needs to be replaced also.

If you have the time it is definitely worth $150.

Shuboxlover

Would love to have a 418!!! I've driven farther for less... :hide: :roll:

• Like 1

Tankman

Looks like an excellent candidate for reconstruction. Even so, parts worth plenty. :tools-wrench:

You could probably use a K horizontal; 12, 14, 16.

However, don't know 'bout the wiring. My 416 and 414 both without tail lights.

My Raider 12 has a cigarette lighter though. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Wheel-N-It

OK judging by the pics, is it worth $150? YES

Is it worth the money you will spend in fuel to go get it? YES

I have a 417-A and love it! Its the same machine with one less horsepower. If the 418 were in my hands, I would get it completely clean (fuel tank included), replace the seat, then take my time and look for a good running (low hour if possible) Magnum 18 or 20 horsepower engine to bolt right in. Then while waiting for that "Just Right" engine to come along. I would strip and repaint the deck, replace the blades and nuts that hold them to the spindles, clean those pulley's and replace the belts.

If you spend $500 for a replacement engine and $50 for a replacement seat, then you will easily have $900 or more invested in it when it is running and working. For me, I know it is worth that easily. Being patient and finding the right engine is going to be the most important thing regarding bringing the 418 back to being a working and earning its keep LAGT. Based on my experience with these things, I would jump on it and have a really nice Wheel Horse by Spring.

Ken B

I'd be all over that before its GONE.

Kelly

The 48" deck looks to be worth the $150 (from the pic) and you get a free tractor.

pfrederi

For the money probably OK but think about the cost of getting it.

Being somewhat contrarian here... if the previous owner managed to throw a rod either the unit had a lot (really lot) of hours or he didn't change the oil very often. Either way it means that the Eaton Hydro has A: a lot of hours on it or B wasn't taken care of (oil and filter changes) so it may not work well when you put in a new engine.

AMC RULES

For $150? :handgestures-thumbsup: Yep, I'd be all over that one.

Tankman

The 48" deck looks to be worth the $150 (from the pic) and you get a free tractor.

Keep the deck 'n all. Rebuilt the Horse! An excellent find.

Wheel-N-It

Uhhhhh, did you get it yet??? :confusion-waiting: