Sign in to follow this  
Retired Wrencher

NO SPARK

Retired Wrencher

Hi I have an 8/32 wheel horse toro it has no spark I have a tester on the spark plug all the time to check. It started with replacing the coil with a new one that the dealer sent to me. the only difference was the wire that goes to the throttle side of engine it has 2 wires coming out of the connector when the old one only had one.I rap up the second think where does this go??? Would that 2nd wire be a ground???? also I took off the fly wheel it has a Mag set up. U would not believe the crap that was in there bird seed shells grass so I cleaned all that up made sure the mag was supper clean also I did the fly wheel. that was yesterday. Today I did every wire connection that the tractor has.I MEAN EVERY ONE With CRC Contact cleaner. Still no spark but I do notice when I hook up the negative side it sparks a lot and it smokes now from under the fly wheel???? Any thoughts would be help full.OOHH I also made a new in line fuse. so I have been working on this for 2 days now with no results Do u think it is the mag??? Thanks Gary B..................

Road-Track

Wow, You don't want to let the smoke out, thats bad!

Before you go too much farther.Put the old coil back in. Check your points. See if you have electrical continuity to one side of the coil and a path to ground on the ground side of the points. If the points are dirty you will not get a spark. Use a nail file or sand paper to clean them. If your safety switches are not made you will not get a spark. If you have an oil level sensor that is reading low, you will not get a spark. Many causes for no spark other than the coil.

A place to start at least.

Good luck and do not let the smoke out! (You might have burned up the stator that creates the voltage from the magnets to recharge the battery if you let too much smoke out.)

Retired Wrencher

Hi Road Track It has a Magneto. they are no points. There is a mower deck safety switch that may be open I will have to check that. Take Care Gary B......

wallfish

If it's smoking then you must have a connection to the positive side of the battery some where and it's shorting out. Not good, you probably cooked the coil.

oldredrider

Gary, you probably fried the coil if the smoke has been let out. Put the original coil back in but don't connect the light blue wire...that is the kill wire. See if you have a good spark now. If engine will start, then you have a bad module; something this model is famous for. Module does not need to be replaced. Just run a wire from the disconnected blue wire, coming from the coil, to the magneto (M) on the ignition switch to remove the module from the circuit. All safety switches that are connected will still perform as intended.

Let us know if this works...it has for me many times.

Retired Wrencher

Hi John and Oldredrider as u can see in these this is the set up that I have the blue wire goes to the key and the black to the coil if u look close u can see the second wire rap up in tape this is ????? so do I eliminate the blue wire??? Gary B.................... nosparke003.jpgnosparke002.jpgnosparke001.jpg

Retired Wrencher

sorry I guess they have changed the way u post pictures off of P/Buck It will take me awile to figure this out. If u know how to get in my file Please check it out. they are the first pictures.

Retired Wrencher
nosparke003.jpg thats better I used the old way of doing it.nosparke002.jpgnosparke001.jpg