Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Vibration issue...

Duff

Hi, guys,

My 312-8 is performing like a champ but I've developed an annoying problem. The hood where it hinges to the frame at the front of the tractor is rattling something fierce, especially when the motor is under load. :whistle: When I did the restoration I noticed the attachment plates (?) were worn badly. I was able to order one new one but the other is NLA so I had a buddy weld the hole shut and I redrilled it to spec. I also replaced the hinge pin. The rubber hold-downs are good, and I replaced (and added to) the "bumpers" where the hood meets the dash tower.

Has anyone experienced this problem and come up with a way to tighten up the hinge assembly or the overall mounting system for the hood so it's a little stronger? B)

B) for any suggestions!

Duff B)

CHARGER9AUTO

DUFF, I had the same problem with my 416-8 the hood used to vibrate like your 312-8 when the motor ran because the hood rod was worn so I put another one in to fix it off some of my parts tractors . Ben B)

WheelHorse_of_course

My Charger has very elongated holes. If I ever get it back from the friend who is repainting it (since last fall!) my plan is to put rubber grommets in the holes.

I think this might work well, but I expect the grommets will need replacing every year or so.

Deerman - I don't understand. It is rattling despite the fact you have restored the holes to their original hole size?

If that is the case, I wonder if you might have an engine problem of some kind (or maybe it not bolted down tightly?

Good luck

Teddy da Bear

I used plastic washers....seems to work good.

Also there is a "strip" of insulator near the hood latch.

I usually replace that.

kpinnc

I've used bronze bushings (3/8 ID) on the hood pivot bolts, and they work very well.

Plastic ones are also available, but don't last as long. Lowes has them in about any size you'd want.

Kevin

Duff

I've used bronze bushings (3/8 ID) on the hood pivot bolts, and they work very well.

Plastic ones are also available, but don't last as long. Lowes has them in about any size you'd want.

Kevin

Ahhh! I LIKE the bronze busning idea, Kevin! B)

And thanks, Mike! I did change the insulator and added some more to it since my green tractors B) are also prone to vibration issues B) .

Thanks guys - you rock! B)

Duff :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

I told my wife that you said I "rock".

She asked me if you meant the rocks in my head? B)

kpinnc

Ahhh! I LIKE the bronze busning idea, Kevin!

I'd better add that you may have to drill the hood mounting tabs out a little bit, depending on both the OD of the bushings, and the amount of "egging" you have in the holes to begin with. But, from there on out, it'll be the bushings that wear, not the hood itself...

Kevin

TT

And don't forget the door hinge repair kits in the "HELP" section at most reputable auto parts stores. B) You can also find various sizes of nylon and plastic bushings in those red packages. :whistle:

refracman

I dont know about the yours but all my Cs have rubber bushings up front also. Ive had to replace them after repairing the hinges.