Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

today's haul 417-a rescued

truckin88

So saw this online had to check it out, I like 417's, it will need some work, but I figure a winter project that I will power wash and strip this weekend. It is a mid 80's 417-a with the eaton11, 48" SD deck, and a rear plow hitch.The 48" SD deck works well, just some dents, no rot. The tractor appears solid. It basically need to be stripped painted, and lubed, most things on it work including the parking break. It needs some dents banged out, paint ripped off, and some odds and ends, it really needs more time then money. Per the previous owner the rear fender and the motor were replaced at some point as he was trying to fix it up. He also included a new seat, OEM blades, and OEM new belts. It is a project for sure. It also has an electric fuel pump, not sure why.

20121109_163645.jpg

20121109_163637.jpg

20121109_163715.jpg

20121109_163723.jpg

20121109_163734.jpg

20121109_163743.jpg

20121109_163627.jpg

20121109_163618.jpg

20121109_163533.jpg

VIDEO:

th_20121109_163340.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Sounds like a strong runner for sure.

nylyon

Was that the one on Craigslist? I saw that, was more interested in the 48" deck, am too broke from buying a generator!

truckin88

Yeah it was the CL one if you are interested in the deck let me know. I'll cut a deal. As this will have a blower or plow on it and not be used for grass. I have the new husqvarna for that.

smoreau

1986 417A

Nice find! I have the 85 and the 86, and love them both. air cleaner is off some other tractor as it is not correct, but should work just fine as long as it has a good filter. my two 417's are my goto tractor for anything that needs heavy work! I have dragged very heavy logs with my 85 and pushed more snow then I could ever ask from a garden tractor. You will love this tractor and it will treat you right! just give it some love and you will get a unstoppable tractor out of her!

truckin88

Thanks how do you know it is an 86? Loving starts tomorrow. Anyone know why there would be an electric duel pump? Also it needs a points cover do you think any kohler points cover would work? I also notices the air cleaner. Seems to be for the engine, but off of another tractor. Also I am not getting full travel on the motion control lever, any ideas?

• Like 1

stevebo

Will,

That looks like a 1986 to me. You will like that tractor as strong runner. If Karl is not interested in the deck, let me know.

smoreau

86 had louver hood and idiot lights on the dash, 85 had a smooth hood and no idiot lights. The cam plate may need to be adjusted for full motion for the hydro. It will have the slower trans gearing as the 85 has the faster geared trans. Most likely the mechanical fuel pump went bad and someone bypassed it with a electric one.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

86 had louver hood and idiot lights on the dash, 85 had a smooth hood and no idiot lights. The cam plate may need to be adjusted for full motion for the hydro. It will have the slower trans gearing as the 85 has the faster geared trans. Most likely the mechanical fuel pump went bad and someone bypassed it with a electric one.

DITTO here. I have an '86 and it too has the louvered hood and the slower transmission. But thats OK as it is plenty strong. You are going to like this one when finished. If not, then you can give it to me :handgestures-thumbsup:

HorseFixer

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright: Like others have said it is a great Tractor! Mine does plenty of work at the Dukes Horse Ranch. You will love her.

~Duke

Tankman

Nice find!

My newly acquired '85 416-8 has the same poorly designed steering column ailment. Currently soaking with liquid wrench.

Got the 1/4 x 2 roll pin removed, not too difficult. Removed the Horse disk (from the steering wheel), shaft and steel sleeve won't move, more liquid wrench at work. Fingers crossed.

Left and right 90° bends are cracked, not all the way, will need TIG welding after I get the upper tower piece and steering wheel off.

Very poor design. I picked up some time ago, sold 'n scrapped two old Bolens tube frames, wow!, what a steering column they had! Full cast iron, heavy!

Gotta get back to Horse Play, let us know how your steering wheel fix goes.

Green 'n yellow trailer in the background looks awful! :angry-nono::angry-nono::angry-nono:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Toro+Consumer&mn=31-17KE01%2C

Wheel-N-It

I just checked out your video. You got a good 417. It does need more elbow grease than anything else, so that too is good. I would have bought that one myself!