Sign in to follow this  
traktorkidd7/30/93

C-175 questions

traktorkidd7/30/93

How do i make a C-175 better on gas?

And is their anything i should do when changing the transmission fluid?

B)

Teddy da Bear

How do i make a C-175 better on gas?
You could push it around the yard... B)

But seriously I would think a complete tune-up would be in order. Otherwise it just might be the nature of the "big" beast with a big motor.

I am not sure what you mean about the transmission fluid.

Are you asking how to change it? What type to use? How often?

Is it a hydro or manual transmission?

traktorkidd7/30/93

hydrostatic and everything

i know :imstupid:

Duff

hydrostatic and everything

i know :imstupid:

Not at all stupid, Chris - just learning like all of us as we get into these red tractors. I don't have the answers to your questions, but I'm sure one of the other guys will be along shortly with some guidance!

Hang in there! :whistle:

Duff B)

traktorkidd7/30/93

i have been wanting to do the fluid change in the transmission too

any advice?

and how do i tune the carb to make it better on gas?

Teddy da Bear

The first thing is to inspect the spark plug and make sure it is gapped correctly.

Not sure about what to do with the carb. More concerned that it does run right rather than does it do well on gas. If it is running nice and smooth I would not change a thing. Put a little carb cleaner in directly or add to gasoline to clean it.

I have a hydro on my C-120. I have never changed fluid on it yet. There must be a drain plug in a usual place. Get a new filter. Replace fluid per specifications.

Someone help me out here? Isn't the hydro suppose to take 30 SAE oil?

WheelHorse_of_course

If the hydro has red stuff you need to replace it with Dextron II or III

If it looks like motor oil it is.

You cannot mix the two, so look at the dip stick first. Most likely one this new is Oil.

Be sure to get a hydraulic filter NOT an Oil filter. WH says to change these one a year but most people don't. Personally this is a case where I use the original part, but do not change it per manufacturer's recommendation.

Fuel consumption will be bad because of the large engine. Plus hydro's use more gas. If it is running well you only have 2 options - replace the engine with a smaller one, or replace the transaxle with a manual :whistle:B)

This is the perfect excuse however for buying an additional tractor. Use the 175 for snow blowing and tilling and buy a smaller horse for hauling the kids around for fun! B)

I have an 854 that gets used for aerating, spreading, plowing/furrowing (Brinly furrower works great for peeling back sod) and grading. It is generally the tractor I use for giving the kids rides.

The Charger 12 gets used for snow blowing, chipping/shredding and mowing.

cheers B)

jerrell

B) hello ,i have a c175 if you have a 2 cyl, it 's gonna use gas,,,but it has a lot more power, mine is a 17hp Kohler and it uses a lot of gas, i have a 1/2 acre garden and i use about 5 gal a day using a tiller , plow and disk, (i do not like grass) , to answer your ? , just a good tune up is about all you can do,, :whistle: if some one can help us improve our gas mileage please step in and help us, B) as far as i can determine the hydro use oil, not tmf. ....mine is a 1982 and the manual states use oil, not tmf. i use exon 30 w. however, i like the suggestion you buy another horse :banana: since i can't travel , i am sending ,,,(asking) my wife go to north AR tomorrow to pick up a c175 complet e but without a motor, ....also 3 scooters, just the thing for me, son, and maybe wife,,,,,, hey, if she agrees and she's happy ... why not ...go all the way,,, B) My dad always told me "if is's not broke,,,don't fix it" and if the engine is running right ,,,, B) leave it alone,,,,,,some times trying to fix something costs twice as much, just my 2 cents worth :horseplay:

traktorkidd7/30/93

yea with all the extra power its worth it and the hydro transmission is so much heavier than the 8 speeds

and i have plenty of others :horseplay:

charger10us

All of my Sunstrand Hydros have ATF Fluid..

All of my Eton Hydros have moter oil...

All of my geared ones have 85/140..

Just my 2 cents!!!!