Sign in to follow this  
Foozerush

Snowblower wings question

Foozerush

Sorta tossing the idea of getting a single stage blower, but wondering if you have to use the side wings on it? On the sidewalk beside my neighbor house there are bushes that run along the sidewalk and the right wing would rub into the bushes and I don't want the sticks/limbs getting into the auger. Does it impede the performance with one or both removed? Can't decide on what way I want to go with plow or blower, plow will be better in my case because of storage space in my garage, but might sacrifice space for a blower... But then I could use the blade to push dirt/rock in the summer time also... Then again I did see a video of a member throwing dirt with a blower.... Any insight to this question appreciated!!

rydogg

When I blow snow I take 1 wing off I was having problems with the wing pulling the front of the tractor when I was blowing deeper hard packed snow with the wing off I don't have the same problem it cuts much nicer.

littleredrider

I haven't tried without the wings, but like dogg said in the heavy stuff it will pull to one side or other. Maybe if some weight was added to the tractor it would help. This was on my lawn ranger, so already lite...

Kelly

You can pull the wings no problem, it will only mean your cutting width will be smaller.

MalMac

What I have noticed with running with only one wing is not only will it pull to one side but I have seen wear on the side of the wing compared to the side with out the wing. Puts more pressure to the side with the wing thus more wear on the bearings and other parts. I saw this with a blower I repaired for a guy that did snow blowing for a private school where he had to remove one because of a curb.

Foozerush

Thanks for the replys... Guess I'll just go the plow route. Rydogg confirmed my thoughts that one wing would make tractor pull, MalMac thanks for sharing that bearing wear is a factor also.. Kelly I still want to road trip north to get some odd-n-end parts from you but I've been working 6 day weeks and wife and kids keep me busy... I'll PM you when I think I can excape

wallfish

With the blade on an angle it will also pull you. For $20 you can add #40 roller chain to the front tires and use what ever you want and you will stay on coarse

MVC-009F-1.jpg

• Like 2

chevrat68

That roller chain is a peach of an idea. I think I might try that this year. Thanks John!

Forest Road

I removed both wings from my single. I've seen a few singles that had broken welds from the stress or the wings. If you have 10.50"rear tires you'll need the wings.

The roller chain works well!

pumper.atv

i run without the wings for three years now on the c121 and the only issue is the reduced cutting width