Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Hooking up my snow plow.

Butch

Last year I installed the snow plow to the bell crank with that steel arm/bar. But looking at Toro drawings from their website it shows that the mower deck lift arm can have the snow plow and mid mount plow attached to it. Has anyone attached either of these plows to this lift arm? It sure would make installing attachments easier. It would be nice to know I could use that arm for everything and not have to mess with that snow plow arm that attaches to the bell crank. If anyone uses the mower lift arm what kind of lift do you get with the snow plow? Thanks.

nylyon

I only use that arm. It is my understanding that the bell crank is to be used only if you want down pressure which the other arm will not give you.

Butch

Thanks Karl. What's the setup? Two nut/bolts with some chain? For the mid-mount I liked the down force for leveling ground. But I'm gonna be using the snow plow with the mower lift arm and don't want the down force.

Sparky

I attach my snow-plow the same as Karl. I use a few links of chain w/nuts and bolts and it will lift the plow so that the frame is just below the front axle.

Mike..........

Butch

Thanks again Mike!!

blackdogfarm

Oh wow I never thought of that!

I am trying to connect a plow to my 18 auto and if I connect it directly to the hydrolic lift it will give me down pressure.

But for plowing snow I dont want down pressure.

So you are saying if I get a link of chain and give it a few inches where the connection is, then I will have some up and down play , so not to rip up my drive?

Sparky

So you are saying if I get a link of chain and give it a few inches where the connection is, then I will have some up and down play , so not to rip up my drive?

Exactly. I personally feel that the plows have enough weight for snow removal.

Mike.........

Butch

I would worry that the forced down pressure would hurt the hydraulics/transmission if you hit something.

blackdogfarm

anyone want to post some pictures how you rigged it up?

I am looking for a quick attach bracket for an 18auto snow plow

THen I will figure out this chain idea you got going on here :banana-rock:

Butch

anyone want to post some pictures how you rigged it up?

I am looking for a quick attach bracket for an 18auto snow plow

THen I will figure out this chain idea you got going on here :banana-rock:

I'm sure it's just a couple links of chain with a bolt, washer and nut at ech end that fit through the mowers lift arm and the mounting hole in the plow where that arm would attach.

One thing I discovered today (which everybody knew but me!) is if you remove the upright dashplate that sits in front of the shifter plate, you can EASILY attach arms/brackets/chains to the bell crank. You wanna know how much time I have spent laying on the ground cussing, trying to attach those things? *&^%$#@.

dcrage

"One thing I discovered today (which everybody knew but me!) is if you remove the upright dashplate that sits in front of the shifter plate, you can EASILY attach arms/brackets/chains to the bell crank"

Don't fell like the Lone Ranger Butch -- I figured this easy access out two winters ago when my chain attachment to the bell crank for my snow blade fell off -- I put it back on rolling around in the snow underneath everything -- After I got done I kept remembering everyone saying on this web site how easy Wheel Horses were to work on -- And that had NOT been easy under the tractor -- Then I saw those screws holding the dashplate and thought that maybe I should see what was behind there

I guess we are never too old to learn

can whlvr

even taking the plate off on my 1990 312-h its very hard to acess,the valve is in there,thats why i like the c160,its very easy to acess the bell crank,much easier than the newer style hood stands

Butch

Well I used the chain and two bolts attached to the plow and the mower lift arm. I used 4 links of a pretty sturdy chain. The two holes are 4 inches apart and the chain I used was 4.5" from insides of the links. There were several different links available.

Wyattrrp

The mower lift arm already has a chain to the upper lift arm. So attaching blade to mower lift arm gives the up down flexibility with a 5 inch connector link between plow and lift arm. To add down pressure make a solid arm connection from plow to upper arm awhere the mower lift arm connects by chain.