Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Wheel Horse Tractors at the auction block

Teddy da Bear

After the auction (not ebay) is over..... When you have won the bid on your new-to-you wheel horse. Your waiting to load up or whatever.

Does anyone else notice that there seems to be a sizeable amount of people that make some effort to talk to you about your new purchase?

They ask "what did it go for?" Some ask if you collect them?

And many, many specific questions about the new horse that maybe you are not yet qualified to answer. Many just congradulate you. Many make comments like "I bet your going to enjoy that".

Then ask yourself.... Do they react the same about a pot or pan? Car jack?

Bundle of copper cable? Or that umbrella stand you won?

No....is my answer.

People for whatever reason find a reason to come and talk to me when I have won a new-to-me horse.

These horses just seem to have some kind of appeal even to non wheel horse persons.

Has anyone else experienced this?

BairleaFarm

Most peoplr wonder why I have 3 garden tractors with a 3000sqft house on a 1/4 acre.

rustbucket

i live on 1/2 achre and gor 8 tractors 3 are horses. the locals think im a bit touched in the head. but ah wells i mow for the comunity so they shrug and keep heading on

Teddy da Bear

A little of topic.

I was speaking of at the auction....not after you get them home.....lol

And more off topic. I have a neighbor that I believe is coming down with a case of horse-itis. The more neat horses I bring home the more interested he is becoming. He has a 520H I believe. This guy is not easy to impress, but I find him hanging on every word in a wheel horse conversation. The other day he said "you have got some neat things here". I never thought he would say that about my stuff.

HorseFixer

Never noticed

Duke

BPjunk

Mike,

Now ifn's ya' not already realized it by now every thing in my life involves a STORY ..... and this includes auctions. B)

Several years back a large and old Wheel Horse dealership closed up and had a auction ..... and 95 Wheel Horses went across the auction block! Although there was quite a few nice Wheel Horses only two were on my list to buy, one of these was a early series 1962 model 552. Boy-O-Boy was I ready when the 552 came up for auction, the auctioneer started out the usual way with a high bid first then dropped the price untill the bidding started. When the price got to $200 I looked at who the other bidder was and saw it was a guy who come to the Wheel Horse Show every year and is always freindly. I hung my head and thought ..."How can I bid against this guy ... he's nice folks", well I jus' stopped bidding and let him win the auction for the 552. :whistle: Well after the auction was over he came up to me and said "Bill, I saw with all the Wheel Horses in this auction this 552 was one of the few you bid on so I figured there must be some thing special about this tractor so I better bid on it". I almost fell over back wards after hearing that because it was hard to believe some one would watch me to see if there was a "special tractor" in the auction, but then I did tell him why that 552 was a good one to restore. B)

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

linen beige

Most peoplr wonder why I have 3 garden tractors with a 3000sqft house on a 1/4 acre.

ME?

B)

3000 sq. ft. house, :banghead:

7 Wheel Horses ( and a parts tractor) :banghead:

I mow with a Craftsman :whistle:B)

Do the neighbors think I'm B) ?

Who cares? It keeps their kids out of my yard! B)

One of my next door neighbors is a retired robotics engineer who is not impressed very easily, but always finds a reason to come over and talk when I'm exercising one of my 'Horses! He still can't beleive the hp ratings on the old Kohlers can put out so much work.

rondo

Along the auction lines:

I read often of the auctions you guys find where there are numerous older garden type tractors. I know I'm new to this, but I haven't been able to find out where these things are and how you "get in the loop" so to speak. I'm still looking for the right fit as far as my first horse goes and there don't seem to be many in the southeast Michigan area. At least not ones that I'm finding.

Just a curious - kind of how do I find these things - thought.

Thanks

Teddy da Bear

Rondo.....sent you an email.