bubba482

KT17 connecting rods same series I/II

bubba482

Is there any difference between Kohler KT17 connecting rods on a series I or a series II?

JackC

I believe they are the same with part number 52 067 61 for the standard rod for both Series I and II.

bubba482

Thanks so much.The only part Kohler lists for the series I is a $2300.00 short block!!!I took my recently "bad running" KT17 to a shop where it was discovered my connecting rod was broken.The mechanic said he couldn't get any parts.The information you provided is very helpful.It now gives me another option other than scrapping this motor out.I just discovered my brother has a C175 with KT17 motor which threw a rod through the side of the motor.I'm going to tear down his motor and see if the remaining connecting rod is any good.Thanks for the quick response.

JackC

"The mechanic said he couldn't get any parts."

There are parts available if you know where to look. There are lots of used parts on eBay. Just search for something like "Kohler KT17"

pfrederi

Putting a lot of money into a Series 1 KT 17 overhaul may not be the best possible use of your money. If you can get a parts motor cheap that may be OK... if you aren't paying a lot for labor (I pay myself in beer :))

JackC

The Series II has a much better lubrication system than the Series I. The Series I is OK as long as it is not run on an incline.

If you are going to replace the rod you should try to figure out what condition caused the rod to break so that you can avoid a repeat.

Possibly you can get away with just replacing the rod and servicing the valves and maybe have a shop service the valves for you.

There is nothing to lose and you get a little engine repair experience.

I also would not put a lot of money in a Series I.

I would rather put the money towards a used Series II.

Let us know if you do anything with it and how it comes out.

bubba482

I finally tore down my brother's KT17 from a C175.My brother fibbed to me (unknowingly of course).Both rods were snapped and punched out thru the block.My question is now this.I see KT17 rods for sale on Ebay once in a while.Some Ebayers list the Kohler part number for the rod.Others state rod for KT17 Cub Cadet or whatever brand of tractor.Can I assume that the "innards" on a KT17 are the same no matter which brand they are?

pfrederi

Some inards are the same. However crankshafts, the bearing end-plate and crankshaft bearings are not!!! Engine tins, intake and exhaust manifolds and chokes are not

bubba482

I bought a 1986 417 8 speed tractor for the motor.I took the motor out and put it in my 1985 417A and it runs great.I would like to personally all who responded to my initial question.The 417 8 speed tractor has an electric lift (factory) on it.Is this rare and if so how much would it be worth on the used market?