Don1977

Rear hubs rebuild

Don1977

I have been fighting loose hubs for 5 years or so. Noticed the right hub had slipped in about an 1", jacked up the tractor to tighten it. Checked the left side grabbed the wheel and it rocked back on the axle. I have some 2" steel I got years ago to make a couple of trailer spindles that never got made. So we bored out the hubs and press fitted sleeves and keyed them. Don't have a picture of boring the hubs. Here is a picture of turning and boring the sleeve.

SAM_0153.jpg

We left the sleeves longer than the hubs by 3/8" that was turned down, this part to extend the hub. We left 2 1/2 thousands press on the sleeves. Then they were pressed in they pulled off some metal and lacked 1/16" going flush with the out side hub.

SAM_0155.jpg

I installed the hubs with new keys and set screws and repainted the hubs with Regal Red Rustoleum. It was raining and I didn't want to wait a week for the paint to dry. I have an old 250 watt infrared heat lamp that still worked so I set it up around 2 feet from the hub and it was dry in 45 minutes. Works great on small parts I guess if you had 3 or 4 of them you could dry a hood. It didn't get too hot to hold but it got real warm. I cut some disk out of PVC siding and pressed in the 1/16" off set before drying the paint hope they will stay in. If not I'll make some more and glue them in.

SAM_0163.jpg

The paint drying work so good I used it when I made a new bracket for the vacuum to fit in the receiver hitch. I didn't have any more 2" tubing so I bolted it on trailer hitch.

SAM_0161-1.jpg

• Like 2

Kelly

nice fix in the hubs I've thrown away many hubs that the centers are wobbled out or have bad keyways.

sorekiwi

Nice fix Don! I've broached new keyways before but havent yet sleeved a hub back down to diameter

Did you bore the ID of your sleeve before installing it in the hub? Or install it and then bore to size? Just wondering how much the ID closed up with that 2 1/2 thou of crush on the OD

Don1977

Yes we bored the sleeve and turned the OD before removing it from the lathe. Then we sawed it off turn it around and faced the back side.The first sleeve ID was bored a little over size I believe about 2 thousands it worked great. The other was dead on and we had to hone it the get the broach guide in after it was pressed in the hub. We ran the hone through both but the smaller one took a lot more honing to get the guide in. We didn't have a 1 1/8" reamer so we had to go the the bore. We pressed the first sleeve with the sharp edge. The second we chamfered the leading edge and it went better.

• Like 1