Sign in to follow this  
tiggercl

523Dxi watercooled Vanguard-Briggs (Diahatsu) 3-cyl diesel

tiggercl

Chaps,

Does anyone have the 'low down' on the reliability of the 523Dxi watercooled Vanguard-Briggs (Diahatsu) 3 cylinder diesel?

Any known issues?

Paul

wh500special

As far as I know, these engines are pretty reliable. In addition to being used in this tractor, they found homes in many Toro and Exmark commercial zero-turn mowers, a few Cub Cadet utility tractors, I think Simplicity used them, and they also have found their way into Kawisaki Mule utility vehicles. I don't know if any of those items are available in Australia.

I don't know of any specific issues with them that is a chronic malady. But I'm not a mechanic. The engine in my 523 has a weak injection pump that makes it almost impossible to start. But when it's running it runs really smooth and seems to put out a lot of power.

While I assume their reliability is on par with other makers, I can tell you that at least in my area of this country service centers for these things are few and far between. If it was a Yanmar or Kubota finding somebody to fuss with it would be a lot easier. Your area may be completely different.

Steve

midnight rambler

i had one and loved it. when they were tested at r&d they were USED and still ran good, an injection pump new is over 1500.00. but otherwise a very good motor.