JackC

ONAN twin cylinder head temperatures

ericj

i have some P216s out of older 516s that don't have oil filters. i found this a while back when looking for a 2 prong oil pressure switch, but had forgotten about it till i read andy's post.

on the comment about low oil causing the piston to stick and breaking the rod, i just about finished pulling another P216 apart that had a broken rod. the oil was real thick in the filter and when i pulled the pan off it smelled burnt. but the piston pushed right out, after cleaning the rust out of the cylinder from the motor sitting apart in the weather before i got it. the fins on the oil pan was totally clogged and lots of oil and grease all around the filter area. so i think the lack of oil changes and the lack of clean up after oil changes killed this motor. can't wait for worm weather to get some data on the head temps when working my onans the cold temps in the winter wont really prove any thing now

eric

Save Old Iron

Jack, just a quick update regarding the CHT monitor, I finally received the amplifiers I need for the thermocouple sensors. Apparently they are in steady demand from the do it yourselfer world and remain in somewhat short supply.

The 4 line by 20 character displays also arrived. Experimentation will continue with the best color background for visibility in bright sunlight - that is as soon as we have some bright sunlight in upstate NY !!

I also now have the ability to log over 8 hours worth of temperature data to a SD memory card which can be removed and downloaded to a PC for generation of temperature graphs.

I must say, this is coming along quite nicely.

• Like 2

sorekiwi

I must say, this is coming along quite nicely.

So now that we have progressed to data logging on our garden tractors. :) What is the possibility of logging parameters other than temperature?

How about a wheel speed sensor on each rear wheel so I can prove to myself that the spider gear type diff works so much better than an 8 pinion diff? (A strain guage on each axle would be nice too, but I wont push my luck!)

Or maybe being able to log rpms as well as temp so we can see if we really should be mowing at 3600rpm instead of 3200 (in an effort to be "nice" to the motor)..

One step at a time, but I am only half kidding here.

• Like 1

JackC

"I must say, this is coming along quite nicely."

That is good to hear.

Being able to download data to a PC for analysis opens up a whole new area of possibilities for maintenance recommendations once we know how to interpret it.

Brian K WheelHorse

Sounds awesome....

kayvonmansouri

Nice thread, mine happens to be apart at the moment cleaning the carb and adjusting the valves. Does the engine need to be removed to remove the heads for decarbonizing? If so maybe I should do that at the same time.