Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

520H retired for now

zieg72

Well, I went to mow the yard for the 3rd time with the 520H since my voltage regulator problem I am still trying to get used to the hydro lever. Everything is going good, and almost 80% done disaster stuck. I got to close to a pine and couldn't pull the lever to stop or reach the brake. One limb nearly knocked me off the tractor where the other snagged the negative cable and yanked the battery sideways and directly shorted the + cable and knocked the battery out. Well I fixed the cable and got a new battery and something else must of happened as it will not crank. It all seems to light up like it used to but when I hit the start, nothing. Any ideas on where to start looking for the problem? I checked the three fuses and they are good.

On a more disappointing note, as much as I REALLY like the 520H's steering and ride over my 269H, the 269H with the 52" deck does a much nicer job. I have to fix the 520H but won't cut with it around the trees until I get a foot control for the hydro. Just to dangerous.

BairleaFarm

Is it not cranking at all or just not firing?

kj4kicks

Any chance that you forgot to disengage the PTO lever? If it's ok, try wiggling the direction control lever.

Did you have the battery hold-down installed?

BTW, How mean is that pine tree that it reached in and grabbed the battery cable?

zieg72

Is it not cranking at all or just not firing?

No cranking

zieg72

Any chance that you forgot to disengage the PTO lever?

BTW, How mean is that pine tree that it reached in and grabbed the battery cable?

PTO was disengaged, I hate that pine, if it wasn't such an effective wind break I'd cut all 30 or so of them down.

Duff

No cranking

Any chance when that battery swung around it yarned into the wiring harness and pulled something off, say, the ignition switch terminals or some such? B)

Duff :whistle:

BairleaFarm

If its not cranking it probably shorted out the solenoid or ignition switch. Both should be asy to trouble shoot.

zieg72

kj4kicks--It was the direction control lever, thanks for pointing that out. As far as the battery hold down, I haven't got one yet, need to get one.

WheelHorse_of_course

Are you sure the battery did not expire in the incident?

Make sure (use a volt meter or a 12 volt light) you have power at the solenoid at the cable from the battery. These will only stretch so far B)

Next put your tester on the small terminal of the solenoid - when the key is turned to start it should light.

If both these tests pass then use a jumper cable between the two large lugs on the solenoid.

If this fails jumper from the large terminal of the solenoid form the battery directly to the terminal on the starter.

I assume the 520H has a brake pedal on the left. I keep my foot near this as the emergency stop. Real easy for me as I grew up on the one pedal brake clutch 500 so it is second nature for me.

Best of luck :whistle:

zieg72

Are you sure the battery did not expire in the incident?

I assume the 520H has a brake pedal on the left. I keep my foot near this as the emergency stop. Real easy for me as I grew up on the one pedal brake clutch 500 so it is second nature for me.

Best of luck B)

yep, that 2 month old battery was stone dead after that. I am leaning to the right, trying to hold the branches up, steering and trying to use the speed lever. She is up and running fine now, thanks to all, now I can sleep without thinking of what is up with it.

linen beige

I am leaning to the right, trying to hold the branches up, steering and trying to use the speed lever.

That's the number one reason I prefer a manual. Both hands are not always tied up.

Nick

This is somewhat off topic but is the same idea that you get use to the 520 hydro control. My cousin would never run thier Zero turn mower until few weeks ago. They gave her some tips on using it and turned her loose. At a larg hill in the yard she shot to the bottom while bouncing off a few things on the way down. B) After driving one for years you dont even think about pulling back on the hydro controls to slow down. :whistle: