Sign in to follow this  
ple1969

Are 2-stage snow blowers rare?

ple1969

I've been looking to get a snow blower attachement for my 520. I've seen some single stage for sale but only 1 2-stage on ebay.... and that was in upstate NY. Are these that rare? I would perfer the 2-stage but would go single if I had to.

Pete

varosd

As only having used the single stage, the 2 stage is reported to be a beast! heavy but able to throw mega snow. multiple threads discuss the merits of both units.

also :text-welcomeconfetti:

littleredrider

I just found a couple on craigslist, one was $250!!!! Gonna try to get one before snow flies and the price quadruples.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I think it depends on your location and/or how far you're willing to travel. More will come up for sale over the next couple months since winter is coming but they'll want higher than average prices since it's the beginning of the snow season. Mine came with a 520H I picked up for $800 (and a deck). If you have a Smart Phone I'd recommend getting one of the Criagslist apps that you can setup to Text you when it finds one in your search area. They can check Craigslist every 10-15 minutes.

midnight rambler

if you can find a 2 stage as you know winter is coming and yes they are hard to find for under 500.00 they only work good on the 520s with the gear reduction steering due to the weight of them. they are however a great blower and throw gravel as well as they do snow. good luck in your travels. i would look all around you in craigslist and different implement dealers, you never know what you will find there. just my pennies worth. good luck

Shuboxlover

I've used both and to be honest.....the single stage doesn't hold a candle to the two stage. The two stages might be 2-3 times more than the singles....but WELL worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forest Road

I own both. I prefer the single most of the time. It's easier to mount and works great. The dual weighs over 300lbs and does an awesome job. I sandblasted and replaced a lot of parts on it last year. Personally the duals are poorly built. I know some folks here will disagree but thats my opinion. The bushings for the front auger are junk, I'll be replacing them in a couple years with bearings. The main gear box should have been heavier duty, perhaps cast iron like an ariens or gravely. And the tension block on the chan is plastic, it shouldve been an idler sprocket. It works really well but I feel that Toro cheaped out when they designed it. The single has 4 bearings a chain and idler sprockets, hardware store replacement parts. Throws snow 30' most of the time and will run well with a 10hp tractor.

There was a Berco 2 stage on the Albany or Hudson Vally CL last week. Good luck to ya!