Sign in to follow this  
55HorseTeef

rj35-55?-56?-57?

55HorseTeef

I see alot of pictures on this forum of the early round hoods.How are you guys distinguishing a 55 from a 56 from a 57?Mine does not have WHEEL HORSE stamped in the grill area.It has straps on the hood for the gas tank,and the frame looks as if it were formed with a brake.Or you mite say stamped.I have no motor to go by,and the trans caseing is stamped POND.Also upon removing the tires from the rims I can see black paint on front and back.Also did these early rj's carry a model/serial tag?Based upon this description,what year would you guys put my rj ?

Jake Kuhn

pictures would really help determine what it is. ~Jake

stevebo

First one (restored) is an early 55. Second one is a 56 and third is a 57.

post-734-0-25688100-1350040575_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-30386100-1350040603_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-38176700-1350040688_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-42032100-1350040739_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

VinsRJ

Hello, from your description it sounds as if you may have a 56 model. The frame you mention sounds like a formed sheet metal frame which was used in late 55 and early 56 or there abouts. The no name hood and black front and back wheels would also follow along with that 56 them.

All of the RJ35's (55, 56, 57) had the "Pond" casted in the gear case cover. None of the RJ35's had a serial tag.

As mentioned above post up a couple of pics of the whole tractor and one of the rear hitch. From there we can narrow it down, please notice I said "narrow it down" because when the Ponds were putting these together almost anything went. You mesure RJ's of this vintage with your thumb not a micrometer.

One other question... what style steering wheel does your RJ have? Small iron or 13" rubber?

Jake Kuhn

THis is your tractor isn't it? I didn't realize you were from delaware. If it isn't please forgive me. There are pics of the tractor. and the hood on one of his 58's. It looks like a 55 to me. Jake

http://jakekuhnsgardentractors.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=164509865

http://jakekuhnsgard...otoid=165013387

jusjeepn

Sounds like a 56 to me. 1955 had a frame that was structural steel. Early 55 had the fuel tank mounted in a stand under the hood. Later 55 had them mounted to the hood. 55 also did not have a stop welded on for the speed selector. 55 did not have "Wheel Horse" embossed on the hood. Early 55's had a cast aluminum steering wheel. Later 55 had cast iron. Very few still survive but early 55's were equiped with cable steering.

1956 had a stamped steel frame, fuel tank mounted on the hood & a stop welded to the leading end of the speed selector. Early 56's did not have "Wheel Horse" embossed in the hood but later 56's did. 56's also had the cast iron steering wheel.

1957 went back to the structural steel frame, fuel tank mounted to the hood, embossed hood, stop welded on the speed selector. 57's had the three spoke wheel common to the 58-59 RJ's

55HorseTeef

THis is your tractor isn't it? I didn't realize you were from delaware. If it isn't please forgive me. There are pics of the tractor. and the hood on one of his 58's. It looks like a 55 to me. Jake

http://jakekuhnsgard...otoid=164509865

http://jakekuhnsgard...otoid=165013387

Yep it's me Jake,decided to keep it .

55HorseTeef

Sounds like a 56 to me. 1955 had a frame that was structural steel. Early 55 had the fuel tank mounted in a stand under the hood. Later 55 had them mounted to the hood. 55 also did not have a stop welded on for the speed selector. 55 did not have "Wheel Horse" embossed on the hood. Early 55's had a cast aluminum steering wheel. Later 55 had cast iron. Very few still survive but early 55's were equiped with cable steering.

1956 had a stamped steel frame, fuel tank mounted on the hood & a stop welded to the leading end of the speed selector. Early 56's did not have "Wheel Horse" embossed in the hood but later 56's did. 56's also had the cast iron steering wheel.

1957 went back to the structural steel frame, fuel tank mounted to the hood, embossed hood, stop welded on the speed selector. 57's had the three spoke wheel common to the 58-59 RJ's

Sounds like it could be late 55 or early 56,thanks for your help

55HorseTeef

First one (restored) is an early 55. Second one is a 56 and third is a 57.

Hey I don't see a raise arm.The early 55s didn't have one?

55HorseTeef

Hello, from your description it sounds as if you may have a 56 model. The frame you mention sounds like a formed sheet metal frame which was used in late 55 and early 56 or there abouts. The no name hood and black front and back wheels would also follow along with that 56 them.

All of the RJ35's (55, 56, 57) had the "Pond" casted in the gear case cover. None of the RJ35's had a serial tag.

As mentioned above post up a couple of pics of the whole tractor and one of the rear hitch. From there we can narrow it down, please notice I said "narrow it down" because when the Ponds were putting these together almost anything went. You mesure RJ's of this vintage with your thumb not a micrometer.

One other question... what style steering wheel does your RJ have? Small iron or 13" rubber?

It didn't have a steering wheel when I got it.Thanks for your help

stevebo

I did not have the lift arm fabricated and installed when I took those pictures. It is on there now but no pics... sorry.

55HorseTeef

I did not have the lift arm fabricated and installed when I took those pictures. It is on there now but no pics... sorry.

Thanks again, man that 55 is some hot tractor.