Sign in to follow this  
Eric_White

skid shoes

Eric_White

Hey guys,

I have the Commando 8 with a snow plow (got from my late father in law). I have an uneven, gravel drive way. I was thinking of adding skid shoes some how so the plow rides over the gravel instead of digging it up, especially with the predicted snow accumilations for this winter here in PA. Does anyone have these on their plow? If so would ya mind posting some pics?

Thanks a bunch.

SousaKerry

The plows really are not heavy enough to dig into the driveway much. Once the gravel is frozen the plow will just glide over the top. If it does stick or dig in the springs will just let the blade flop down. In the spring you will be surprised how few rocks did actually get moved. I used to get less then a 5 gal bucket full every year and I had big river(1"-2") rock for a driveway

dsholler

I would think skid shoes would be worse. By concentrating the weight of the blade on two small pads, instead of across the scraper bar, you are encouraging them to dig in, even when the ground may be a bit frozen. I have not tested this, however, so my theory could be incorrect.

smoreau

Older plows had them as a option, I have a set that I cut off on my v blade project that were welded up on the bottom. They must have been warn out too much from the previous owner. I didn't think they would work all that great ether, So I cut them off.

Kelly

Set the height adjustment (the knob and L shaped rod that the lift lever rest on) so the blade rides just off the ground.

KC9KAS

Set the height adjustment (the knob and L shaped rod that the lift lever rest on) so the blade rides just off the ground.

This is what I do when I plow my (gravel) drive.

As I am sitting on the tractor in the garage (concrete floor), I adjust the snow plow to just barely touch the floor.

I didn't do this the 1st year I plowed the drive. I pushed the snow across the street into a pile. When all the snow melted, I had to hook up my lawn trailer and retreive my rock!

Tankman

Never had the need for shoes on any blade, except the pickup's blade.

The Horse blade, just set the height. My gravel drive is 'bout 100 yards long, never had a problem.

Have both 42" and 48" dozer blades, no skid plates.

pfrederi

I guess my driveway is too uneven. I have tried setting the blade just above the ground but with dips and bumps the blade is either digging in or 2 inches above the driveway. I also plow some grassy areas and I find the skids very useful.

dc277c214814768.jpg

I also made a set using the same pipe cap, carriage bolt operation but mounting them to a piece of angle iron bolted to the keyhole shaped holes that are on the bottom brace of some WH Blades (no welding required)

• Like 1

3609horse

I have the same problem at my parents house. When the ground is not frozen the blade does dig in and when you try to push snow up on the grass the blade tends to dig at times.Plus we don't get the frost like we used to. The driveway is unlevel so just adjusting the height on the lift won't help. My plows don't seem to trip that easy even when they start to dig. Sometimes shoes would be nice, if they work on a truck they should work on a tractor. My plow off my 701 has pipe with a lock bolt to adjust the hight of the shoes, I don't have it anymore so I can't show pics. Just my oppinion, thanks.

Gene..

glgrumpy

My manual shows the feet as an option on blade. I don't see any place on my blade that I just got to mount them??? I have seen many brands, like my light Deere blade with just a strap like shoe bent back and bolted to blade on backside. Has some adjust with slots in them to move up/down the bolts. I have them on that blade, not sure if they do anything or not. I always have big piles of rock to rake from yard in spring, frozen over or NOT! Mine is uneven from washouts and such (I'm on a hill with drive) and don't think I could set at one level either. Maybe if it froze enough in low spots on left-in snow it would eventually be level, ha!

sorekiwi

I just set my height adjustment knob like the guys above have said. Yes it does dig in a bit, but I dont worry about it too much.

Here's a crappy picture of the big D seies blade that has the round skids on each end. I can get close up pics if you need them. I dont know how well they work, I've never used this blade.

IMG_3091.jpg

HankB

Before we paved our drive, I tilted the blade further forward using the alternate holes on the back of the blade. That seemed to help it to ride over the gravel rather than dig in.

glgrumpy

Kiwi, is that blade same as one for GT14? I'm wanting one. 54", don't know numbers for it. How far East in Ohio are you? If wanna sell and will fit, send email to glperry4 at yahoo dot com or private message here. Need price first. Is there a number on that blade?