Sign in to follow this  
dieselhorse

I think I found away to diesel a suburban

dieselhorse

I have always liked the tiny Suburban and RJ models, espicaly with the drop style front axle. The issue in the way was the fact that the height of the engine is very critical since its right back in front of ya! My supplier has started carring a horizontal crank, 3.8hp, horizontal cylinder jug air cooled diesel around 300 bucks. even has a double belt pulley already on it. It looks like it should fit in there. Any have a solid roller I can use for this project? Doesnt even need rear tires, I have a nice pair of ags for it. But I will need the front tires and the rest of it. As long as its straight and not swiss cheese from rust, it will work. I think a baby diesel horse would be a real show stopper.

Electro12WH

Can you give us any info on the diesel? Brand? supplier?

HorseFixer

Yes please! I wouldnt mind doing a converion on one of my many "ROUND HOODS" B)

Duke

Rollerman

I beleive this is where Mike shops..... B)

http://www.carrollstream.net/

dieselhorse

The dont have the baby diesel on the site yet, but its on ebay. If you go on their website, its a smaller version of the 5.5 hp diesel. The one on Jims is the 4.5hp, its a clone of a Yanmar engine, the 4.5, 6 and 10 are all Yanmar clones. I forget what the 3.8 and 5.5 are clones of. All are Chinese made, take that for what its worth, but what isnt these days? now I need a project core tractor!! I have a baby 6" moldboard plow with coulter for a slot hitch. I think its from a walk behind tractor, but its size is perfect for the RJ/Suburban models. And yes, I will work my "pocket WH diesel", what fun is a tractor if you cant work it hard? Ok, Redsquare, help me affordable aquire a good tractor to do this with!

TT

Just for the record, the '60/'61 (and older?) mid-engined tractors and the round hood Lawn Rangers are not a smaller tractor than the front-engined round hoods. The Suburbans are definitely lower because of the "dropped" front axle and the transaxle mounting arrangement, but they aren't shorter or narrower. The RH Lawn Rangers actually started off as a 502/552 but received 8 inch rear wheels and 4 inch front wheels instead of 12 inch rears and 8" fronts.

My 401 and 701 are sitting side-by-side in the shop and the tires are lined up darn near perfect. I measured the wheel bases and the 401 might be

dieselhorse

I just found a restored later model 8hp WH on ebay just south of indianapolis, man I want that!!! Might even stay gas powered for awhile its so nice. I need our red 582 cub cadet sold and fast, need the cash to work with.

TT

It wouldn't happen to be THIS ONE, would it?

That's a 1973 8 4 speed. It only has 10" rear tires and 6" fronts -- and the short wheelbase. (just making sure you're aware of it, IF that's the one you're looking at.)

dieselhorse

That is the one, I have access to one similar from Big Mike, thats an 8-8 speed, is that one only a 4 speed or does it have the two speed rear end, is that a big deal to swap out in the future. I just like that its already restored and better than I can paint one. Whats it really worth realisticly? You can PM me that part. Thanks TT. Mike

TT

The 8 8 speed is also a 1973, but is the long frame (45.5" wheelbase) with the heavy rear. (at least the one I worked on is)

The one on ebay is basically the same as a Commando 800 - and I can't tell you what it's worth. B) I know I wouldn't pay much for it - shiny paint or not. :whistle:

dieselhorse

ah, ok. Still learning all the differnent WH models. I prefer the short frame over the long frame. I am working a deal with the guy that owns it. I would probably leave it like it is for now, add the repower later on. The little 8hp kohlers are good on gas, unlike the 16 twin in the 582. We still have the big 782d diesel cub that my wife uses. Was the correct muffler for that one on ebay, the one that was in the nose and exhausted to the left down low? I know they are nolonger made to. I know that pancake muffler would have to go, it looks like crap. Mike

rustyoldjunk

diesel,i just found a a couple of diesels today and was having a simular thought on a project tractor when i came here tonight and saw this thread.the diesels i found (along with a bunch of all ages of wheel horses and parts) are the ones thats they used to use on the flashing lights along roads on the hi ways.there was a thread on these a good while back on another forum,someone used one in a GT.i am going to look into these alittle more,finding out things like power output,parts availibilty and such hopefully.i have to go look at the horses,parts and engines in the next few days....i would like to do a C series diesel tractor.

TT

Was the correct muffler for that one on ebay the one that was in the nose and exhausted to the left down low? I know they are no longer made too. I know that pancake muffler would have to go, it looks like crap. Mike

I'm 95% sure that the '73 8 4 speed used the Nelson dual-exit small muffler with the louvered end caps. It mounted directly to a short pipe that screwed in the exhaust port and was secured by a small U type muffler clamp.

I had a similar one on my old B-80, but mine had a body that was completely round instead of oval like the original muffler.

051308022.jpg

That "riggin" on the ebay tractor is definitely wrong, and I don't think there was even enough room for the large front-mounted canister mufflers on those tractors. B)

Jim_M

If it helps anybody that's trying to figure out what size engine they need. The 4.5 horse diesel in my 654 is more powerful than the K-141 in my 633 and actually feels like it's equal to a 7 or 8 horse gas engine. The increased torque of the diesel makes it feel more powerful in a tractor.

dieselhorse

You are correct Jim, the 4.5hp diesel has the torque of a 7-8hp gas engine, the 6hp diesel is equil to a 10hp gas engine and the 10hp diesel is like a 12-14hp gas engine. Mike

WheelHorse_of_course

B) :whistle: Hint hint ....

Aren't the Load Rangers supposed to have a Diesel B):banghead::banghead: ?

Nick, you need to get yours back to B) the proper Diesel power plant B)

Nick

I came very close to swaping a diesel into the Load Ranger. I was in the garage with a tape measure more than one time. B) Space is kind of limited and it looked like both the 10hp and 6hp diesels would have been a tight fit. But a diesel with straight stack on the LR... :whistle:

Im just not sure the 4hp version could have the same power as my K181 unless it is way underrated. If you look at what caroll stream has listed on the 4hp it doesnt add up. Its rated 4.2hp at 3600 rpm but also 9.5KW at 4000 rpm. 9.5kw converts to over 12hp. That just dont sound right to me. B)

dieselhorse

The 4.5 on Jims 654 that I built has no problem running the mower deck at half throttle, let along full power. I also put the same engine on a 112 JD, that replaced a HH100 Tecmuseh engine, 10 hp, and it would run the huge 47" mower deck, it was all it wanted, probably just a tad to much, but that huge mower deck was a struggle for a 10hp gas engine. I have no doubt the 4.5 is equil to a K161 or K181. It would take the 6hp ones to run with a 10hp gas or larger. One has to remember that diesels are all about torque, better torque at lower rpms and sustaining it thru thier power band. Gassers only make rated HP and torque at full rated rpm. And yes, a diesel lawn ranger would be drool material, espicaly with a straight pipe!

HorseFixer

I looked at the specs in the auction that motor looks awefull long to me going in a ball burner! :whistle: Im not sure it will fit correctly! B) But if you said ya did it then I guess So!

Duke

BairleaFarm

That's a 1973 8 4 speed. It only has 10" rear tires and 6" fronts -- and the short wheelbase.

Not much room under that hood either. A 10hp fits but its tight all they way around. Get rid of the smaller tires and it turns out to be a nice little tractor.