Sign in to follow this  
RedMaine

42in RD deck blades not level.

RedMaine

Recently, I noticed that I am getting scalping when I mow. I peeked under the deck and the blades appeared to not be level with each other. I removed the deck and put a level across them. It seems that the middle blade is always low on the right side and always high on the left side.. both by about 1/4 in. I pulled off all three blades, and they all look flat and not bent in any way.

I am guessing that my middle spindle is not square to the deck? Is that adjustable, and if so, how do I adjust it. If something is bent, it wouldn't be the shaft, and it would wobble back and forth. Is it the deck? The deck is fairly new, maybe 50 hrs on easing mowing, and I see no visible issues.. Any help would be appreciated!!

Mark

Sparky

Are all three blades the same size/length? If so swap out the center blade for one of the outside blades to be sure its not a bent blade. I suspect your deck shell is the problem tho. Have you whacked anything with it? Does anyone else use it to mow when your not there....teenager maybe?

Mike.....

• Like 1

can whlvr

it sounds like sparky said the area where the spindle bolts on could be bent,you may have to shim the spindle with washers between the housing and the deck

• Like 1

tommyg

I knocked my c125 spindle out of whack when I hit a low stump without the blades even spinning. I think with a bit of care, you could coax it back into position with the right kind of pry or pressure. Try to do it with the blades on the spindle so you can double check for parallel as you go along. May not take as much as you think. But like the others, I think your spindle isn't perpendicular to your deck.

• Like 1

RedMaine

Thanks for the comments. I took a picture of the pulley and it was not square to the deck.. I pulled the spindle and it looked true and intact. The deck is bent!! I supported the deck and used a mallet hitting a ball peen hammer to bend the spot out. It didn't pop out, but worked well enough to get the blades even! Thanks a lot for the help!

Mark

B-8074

I mow over 10 acres a week and I always end up bumping something and messing the deck up somehow. It's usually the same problem you had. I just take the deck off and jump up and down on it a few times and go back to mowing.

• Like 1