Sign in to follow this  
Rooster

856 Worker

Rooster

Last fall I got lucky at the bidding on eBay and over night went from owning 2 Wheel Horses, neither of which were any where near close to being anything, to owning a whole herd.

For just over a $1000 I bought out a collection & brought home a B100, 856,1056,1046 2 Suburban partials and a load of parts and implements. I soon had the B100 and 1046 running, and in 6 months had sold enough implements and parts to make what was left free!!

As I sorted through things and worked on tractors I noticed a lot of the stuff had fresh paint, and quite a few new parts. As I mentally kept track I soon realized, I had all the makings of a short frame , with no tags to tell me eggzactly what it was, but an extra K181 & I decided to throw together another 856 to just use

Basically this is what I started on a few months ago.

post-5219-134968254803_thumb.jpg

All I had done to it was bolt the fender and dash tower on, assemble the front axle and throw the rear tires on. Frame and trans were already together. <br />Then I stuck the 181 on it, but it was orange

post-5219-134968321933_thumb.jpg

post-5219-134968356346_thumb.jpg

post-5219-134968360143_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Rooster

Oh BTW, for those of you who think a bit of surface rust on gears is Ok… one of the things about wheel horse transaxles I have noticed is they have a very smooth, tight mesh to them. That little bit of " surface rust on a couple of gears had that trans locked!!

Rooster

Argghhhh Tapatalk!!!!

I'll fix the post tomorrow guys!!!

AMC RULES

Whew... :thanks: Rooster.

I couldn't figure out whether it was your technology or mine that was in error here this morning.

I think I need a cup of coffee. :coffee:

• Like 1

krazy_horse

Got to love the 856 short frame tractors, I own two of them. One from Uncle Bob in Pa. and one from Florida. Both run strong and ready to haul fire wood or mow the grass or any other task. Lots of power from the little 8 horse.

Rooster

Let's try this again maybe?

After a couple of months of walking by the orange engine sitting on my pretty, fresh red paint, and with the urging of my roomie who kept saying " you can't go to your first tractor show with nasty, ugly orange engine !"

So I ripped it off of there , and handed her some rags, cleaner and a can of paint. :)

A week later and …post-5219-134971026892_thumb.jpg

Rooster

Before anyone says anything… this is her first time doing anything like this, guess I should have told her on engines there are some places that don't get painted

Rofl never thought Id have that lil tube on a can of carb cleaner stuck up in the engine cleaning paint off of the intake valve

It looks 10 times better than the orange!!

Rooster

So with only three weeks to go for the Fly Wheelers show, I figured I better get that shiny piece bolted back on after dinner last night. So I grabbed the frame to roll it in the garage. Made it all of 6 feet when the rear tires locked up. :omg:

After a little inspection I decided to just drag it into the garage and would have to tear into the tranny.

Note: if you find your self dragging an 856 by the front axle with the rear tires sliding, if they decide to start rolling again right as you get to the gate of your back yard… you could end up with the impression of a cast axle in your thigh and gate latch in your back…just saying.

Rooster

post-5219-134971151246_thumb.jpgpost-5219-134971153841_thumb.jpgpost-5219-134971157085_thumb.jpg

All of this led to 6 hours of polishing gears, a few new bearings and had to make a new gasket. Luckily the bearings that needed replaced I just happen to have in the garage. The lazy bearing store owners around here are close at midnight, on a Sunday?!?!

• Like 1

Rooster

And as of 3 AM we have this…post-5219-134971221133_thumb.jpg

Rooster

This is going to be the ultimate budget build. As of now I have about $20 in spray paint, a can of carb cleaner and time invested in it!

post-5219-134971242776_thumb.jpg

Anyone ever seen these? They are carlisles. 22x 7.50 Never seen any quite like them. They were with all the stuff I bought, holding air and in great shape so they are getting put to use! Not the tires I'd go buy, but for the price I think the little guys will look great on the little tractor ;)

AMC RULES

Note: if you find your self dragging an 856 by the front axle with the rear tires sliding, if they decide to start rolling again right as you get to the gate of your back yard… you could end up with the impression of a cast axle in your thigh and gate latch in your back…just saying.

Sounds like you got yourself a new :wh: tramp stamp Rooster. :ychain:

:wwp:

• Like 1

Lars

So far so good Bro.. keep the good work up...

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Gonna be a good one ! My 857 is my do anything tractor.

Uses very little fuel and will work me to death on a tank.

very reliable, if t's not working I'm not working. I mow

4 or 5 yards around here just for seat time.

JIM in Texas

• Like 1

qd-16

22 x 7.5's is what my 1985, 310 came with.

Rooster

The wheels are silver? So I figured they came off of something in that era, maybe?

Jake Kuhn

The wheels are silver? So I figured they came off of something in that era, maybe?

My b80 has that size tire, we also got a set of nos tires that size and white rims in the lot we found.

HorseFixer

Looks good! :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

Rooster

Here is one to make you jealous....

I'm at work, working late all week... :tools-hammerdrill:

SHE is in my garage sanding dash, fuel tank support, lift lever, belt guard, hood and fenders.....

:banana-tux::teasing-neener::royalty-crown: :music-rockon:

Scrumpy

Rooster,

Somehow that is going to come back around - Just sayin'

Rooster

Well she just sent me pics of her work..

post-5219-134992390016_thumb.jpg

post-5219-134992391655_thumb.jpg

post-5219-134992393144_thumb.jpgpost-5219-134992394519_thumb.jpg

And while I was waiting on someone, I built a new battery box

post-5219-134992398984_thumb.jpg

Rooster,

Somehow that is going to come back around - Just sayin'

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to let her drive it at the show... Lol.

If she keeps up, we will get this done AND the 1046 fixed and neither of us will be walkin!!

Rooster

So I thought I had an engine pulley.

But when I was getting ready to put it on I noticed it did not have a key way in it?? post-5219-134993158905_thumb.jpg

So last week I made a new one.

Does anyone have any idea what this other pulley is?

It is a triple groove , 2" pulley with no key way.

Lars

Nice going to look sweet when u are done...

Scrumpy

Rooster,

Pulleys can be ordered that way. Then the keyway and setscrews can be added in the size that is needed. I used to get all my woodworking parts that way from Boston Gear. Gears and pulleys would only have the center marked and you would send it to your local machine shop to be drilled and broached as needed. Likely this one was not finished.

Rooster

Problem is this pulley is so long that I'd need a production broach to key way it, and the broach cost about 20 times what the pulley is worth, lol!

Ohh...I am my local machine shop!

Also, the pulley is used....it was on something!