Sign in to follow this  
mowinman2

RJ question?

mowinman2

Im not a big poster here. More of a looker, but I stumbled upon a picture of a RJ that will be in an auction. It took me a second to notice it, but the air breather is new to me, with the way it has been routed. I have never seen anything like it on a Wheel Horse, or any GT for that matter. Im just wanting some guru to tell me thats a rare piece, dont let it slip away, or someone got funky with a design.

Thanks!

post-5226-0-10358200-1349663453.txt

Sparky

The motor looks like a Briggs to me and I think the air intake was someones home-grown idea. Probably couldn't get the air filter to fit under the hood and thats what they came up with.

Mike.............

Rollerman

The RJ has a replacement engine in it.

Looks to be a larger Briggs.

The hood has also been raised, I'll give the builder of it some credit....most our cut off at the back to except a larger engine.

No rare piece...just a custom one off with a complicated air filter.

rmaynard

I'd say that is not original equipment, nor is it a factory authorized accessory.

mowinman2

Thank you gentlemen for you quick replies. That certianly saves me a long road trip!

Rooster

It's still an RJ, everything that's been done to it can be undone!

hcminis

If it's not far, I would make the trip for that one. As mentioned, it looks like a quick "undo" and put a Harbor Freight motor on it until you find the original.

CasualObserver

I don't know how far it is, but if it was within reasonable distance and I had the money to spend on it, I'd be there.....especially down there in NC! Looks like a nice tractor overall to me. Original engines can be found easy enough. Like Stephen said... doesn't look like the hood was cut. That's a huge bonus. Mower deck has had runners added to it also. Solid pan seat (if original) would make me think later production model. No matter what, nice RJ. If you don't want to make the drive for nothing... call and leave an absentee bid. Most auctioneers these days will take them with a credit card number. Just be prepared to go get it if you win!

kpinnc

I agree with Jason. RJs are rare in any condition down here, and this one is a home run in the "get back to original" department- as long as the price is reasonable.

K91 engines are not hard to come by, even in NC. I have several of them myself, and I live 15 miles from Midland. PM me if you get it, and we can work something out on one.

• Like 1

mowinman2

I agree with Jason. RJs are rare in any condition down here, and this one is a home run in the "get back to original" department- as long as the price is reasonable.

K91 engines are not hard to come by, even in NC. I have several of them myself, and I live 15 miles from Midland. PM me if you get it, and we can work something out on one.

Thanks! Im not sure if I can make it to the auction. Let me know if you are interested in the details. Its nice to see a local on here.

VinsRJ

I would go one step further and throw it out there that it looks to be a later production 58/59 on the basis of the large solid set pan and Suburban style front wheels. And with a hood which looks to be in good shape... I wouldn't cross it off the list to entertain.