Sign in to follow this  
AmalgamousProxy

To gov or not? That is the question.

AmalgamousProxy

I came across a few tractors originally equipped with a governor that had the governor bypassed with straight throttle linkage to the carburetor. I've had tractors that had full straight throttle. Personally I kinda like governor throttle on my tractor, you know, that surge you get when you hit an incline or load. Not to mention it's easier on the engine. What's your opinions?

MarkPalmer

Small air cooled engines used on power equipment should always use the governor if so equipped. They are mechanically designed for a top RPM, (usually between 3500-4000 RPM), and as you mention they will keep the engine speed steady under varying loads. Many people bypass engine governors for various reasons- the springs break and they are too cheap to replace them, they can't figure out how to adjust the governor linkages and don't want to read a manual, they think bypassing it will get them more power (it will, at the great expense of engine life), or they replace governor linkages or carbs with different parts and end up with a mess that can't adjust.

There used to be this old dirty idiot who lived behind my parents house who had a pile of a governor-less Cub 108 he would attempt to mow with. He would start this thing up to a cloud of oil smoke, and it would wind up to about 6000 RPM. He would then fire up the mower to the nice sound of grinding spindle bearings and belt smoke. Every time he hit one patch of grass the engine would slow to just about a stall, backfire loudly through the exhaust, then he would stop and let it wind up again and keep repeating the process. It was annoying and amusing to watch all at the same time :)

-Mark-

• Like 3

AmalgamousProxy

I think the vast majority do so for the power boost then complain that (insert engine brand name here) is garbage because it blew up after a season or two. Ignorance isn't always bliss...

• Like 1

can whlvr

we used to do this one our go carts so they would go faster,but ya it was very hard on them,and we blew up a couple of good old kohlers doing this

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Governors are their for the same reason there is a rev limiter in your car. Rotating assemblies are only balanced for a certain RPM any faster and they fly apart.

krazy_horse

My thinking is the Kohler engineers knew a whole lot more about these engines than I do, I try to go by the book on service and settings on them. Knock on wood but I've got good service out of all but one which was a two cylinder D model back in the 70's

• Like 1

markjs

There used to be this old dirty idiot who lived behind my parents house who had a pile of a governor-less Cub 108 he would attempt to mow with. He would start this thing up to a cloud of oil smoke, and it would wind up to about 6000 RPM. He would then fire up the mower to the nice sound of grinding spindle bearings and belt smoke. Every time he hit one patch of grass the engine would slow to just about a stall, backfire loudly through the exhaust, then he would stop and let it wind up again and keep repeating the process. It was annoying and amusing to watch all at the same time :)

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

bowtiebutler956

I remove the governors on all my off road buggies, but definitely not my Garden Tractors! The buggies are hot rodded toys that we try to get every last drop of speed out of, and to date I have'nt had one explode yet, but there's always tomorrow! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-95376600-1350179982.jpg

post-6076-0-33744500-1350179997.jpg

post-6076-0-93119300-1350180024.jpg

sorekiwi

When I was living in Indiana, the local Toro dealer was around in the days of the Indy 2 1/2 mile race. He told me that they all tied a piece of string to the governor arm so they could pull on it from the seat.

Wonder if all those old roundhoods blew up earlier than they should have after that sort of treatment.

Terry M

OK, since the subject has been brought up,....where would I find some helpful info on adjusting the governor on my techy H60's and HH60? bought a few manuals on ebay and the subject is brought-up , but not the process or/and the precedures are not explained . I've "tinkered" with them some but not happy with the results. For instance,(i.e.) my L-157 lawn ranger runs fine and the governor works but it's almost like it holds the RPM's back too much. so any adjustments I would try to do have negitive effects like too high of rpms or engine bogs down on hills.

any comment welcome .

roscoemi

There is a link somewhere on this site that shows how to adjust the gov on about any small engine that is super simple, but for the life of me I can't find it . :banghead: Try a search.