Sign in to follow this  
Wishin4a416

Got a Blower

Wishin4a416

Picked up a Blower this week. Can you tell me what you use to lube your chain with?

IMG_1675.jpg

• Like 1

JackC

Looks to be in great condition. Is that the 79360?

I just picked one up but I know nothing about maintaining them.

Apparently, there is no tension adjustment for the chain.

The guy I bought it from recommended installing a 1/2 link to tighten the chain.

TT

Visit your local auto parts store or motorcycle shop and ask for roller chain lube.

Unless they've changed, the bottom front sprocket is mounted in a slot in the side plate. If the bolt is at the bottom of the slot (no more adjustment) it's time for a new chain.

My advice: Buy enough chain to make a spare and don't be afraid to spend some money on quality chain. Periodic replacement of the chain is cheaper and easier than replacing worn sprockets ~ especially the weld-on auger sprocket.

This manual might help:

dsholler

I am a blower neophyte as well, but was advised at another time to use the bicycle chain lube (the liquid teflon stuff).

Sparky

I am a blower neophyte as well, but was advised at another time to use the bicycle chain lube (the liquid teflon stuff).

I agree, I use motorcycle chain lube (my motorcycle still has a chain so I keep it in stock) so there is less "lube fling".

Mike..........

Kelly

New chain every few years a 10' roll will do it 2 times, I use motor cycle chain lube also, and when I put it up for summer I soak it with motor oil and spin it by hand to work it in, the tall shoot blower has grease fittings on the bearings, that is nice.

Wishin4a416

New chain every few years a 10' roll will do it 2 times, I use motor cycle chain lube also, and when I put it up for summer I soak it with motor oil and spin it by hand to work it in, the tall shoot blower has grease fittings on the bearings, that is nice.

Just for reference, where do get this bulk chain? Wheelhorse dealer or Cycle shop?

bk-scouter

I got mine at my local hardware store last year. They actually cut it to length for me.

-BK

Wishin4a416

Looks to be in great condition. Is that the 79360?

I just picked one up but I know nothing about maintaining them.

Apparently, there is no tension adjustment for the chain.

The guy I bought it from recommended installing a 1/2 link to tighten the chain.

Yes. It is a 360. I changed one Idler sprocket this morning. The lower one. Boy there pricey. I got a spare while I was there too.

shorts

Kelly, try McMaster Carr, Fastenall,Graingers, MSC or any other industrial supply

SousaKerry

I deal with roller chain at work all the time. We buy thousands of feet a year and I think most of the major chain vendors have my number on speed dial. There is a big difference in chain and you get what you pay for. That being said don't buy it at the hardware store you will over pay for a cheap chineese piece if garbage. Look at the sideplates the manufacturer will be stamped on the side. Good markings to look for are UST,REYNOLD JEFFERIES, IWIS, DIAMOND.

If it ain't marked then it ain't worth putting on your machine and you will wind up replacing it after a year or two. Chain should be replaced when it reaches 3% elongation measure from pin to pin over 10 inches or so when it is stretched tight.

As a side note lube free chain is available it is made from self lubricating materials and will last many years without a drop of oil. Of coarse you pay dearly for this feature, but it will probably outlast the machine.

One final note, putting new chain on worn sprockets will just wear out the chain exponentially faster. Same deal on sprockets you get what you pay for but not at the hardware store. Also look for hardened sprockets they will have an H in the size number stamped into them.

All this can be purchased though your local industrial power transmission store such as motion industries, applied industrial, granger, fatenal.... look in the phone book. Most towns have a local store and probably have what you need on the shelf. If you work for an industry more then likely they have an account and you can get their price if you pay in cash. The discount can be substantial and it never hurts to ask.

Wishin4a416

I deal with roller chain at work all the time. We buy thousands of feet a year and I think most of the major chain vendors have my number on speed dial. There is a big difference in chain and you get what you pay for. That being said don't buy it at the hardware store you will over pay for a cheap chineese piece if garbage. Look at the sideplates the manufacturer will be stamped on the side. Good markings to look for are UST,REYNOLD JEFFERIES, IWIS, DIAMOND.

If it ain't marked then it ain't worth putting on your machine and you will wind up replacing it after a year or two. Chain should be replaced when it reaches 3% elongation measure from pin to pin over 10 inches or so when it is stretched tight.

As a side note lube free chain is available it is made from self lubricating materials and will last many years without a drop of oil. Of coarse you pay dearly for this feature, but it will probably outlast the machine.

One final note, putting new chain on worn sprockets will just wear out the chain exponentially faster. Same deal on sprockets you get what you pay for but not at the hardware store. Also look for hardened sprockets they will have an H in the size number stamped into them.

All this can be purchased though your local industrial power transmission store such as motion industries, applied industrial, granger, fatenal.... look in the phone book. Most towns have a local store and probably have what you need on the shelf. If you work for an industry more then likely they have an account and you can get their price if you pay in cash. The discount can be substantial and it never hurts to ask.

I would probably deal with Mac Carr but what size does one look for. Does it go by numbers or measurements. How would you no what to order? Lenght is no problem but the link spacing and the width is where Im confused.

Kelly

I buy it at Fastenal, it is #40 chain, I think it was $25 for a 10' roll, it will do a blower 2 times, they have better chain there but it was WAY more money, I couldn't and didn't want to pay that at the time, I got my drive gear and idler gears there also, they were pretty cheap, I think the drive gear was about $15 the idlers $25 (side note older blowers use a 3/4" drive shaft the newer ones use 7/8") I have bought my chain a TSC it worked fine, but I sold the blower after a year so I can not say how long it lasted.

Wishin4a416

Thanks Guys. # 40 . I will file this.

Forest Road

I use chain saw bar oil on my chain.i just run the blower at low engine speed and dribble some oil on it. Bar oil is sticky and stays on longer than motor oil. Great education on chain quality. Just like my bicycles. You get what ya pay for!

JackC

Chain saw bar oil sounds like a good idea. Thanks