Sign in to follow this  
MarkPalmer

1067/1267 rarity

MarkPalmer

I’ve been catching some red fever, and am thinking of complimenting my 867 with one of its bigger brothers either a 1067 or 1267 if one can be found for a reasonable enough price. Yet I don’t seem to see much info or interest in the two models, and am wondering that although the 867 seems fairly common, (I’ve seen several for sale recently) are the bigger two models more scarce to find?

-Mark-

COMMANDO6

Mike, cool pics. I also like the muffler on your 1267.

Sorry, Mark, I can't answer your question.

TT

Of course it's only my opinion, but none of these older tractors are common anymore.

As far as how many of them were produced..... I believe the records for that generation of tractors have been lost, so we'll never know.

I will tell you that the three models (867 / 1067 / 1267) were introduced later than the other 1967 models because the 5060 six speed wasn't quite ready for production. Because of that, some consumers may have waited to see how it worked out - and by that time, the Raider model was introduced.

The 867 seems to be more popular among collectors since it is the only production small-block / short-frame tractor with the six speed. As more people congregate on the internet, some models which were thought to be scarce seem to be abundant.

Ironically, I just fetched another one for myself last night. It might be ugly (in the eyes of some) but it runs and drives - and it was relatively cheap.

I'm not exactly sure which one of the two it is yet since ALL of the ID tags are gone, but I'll figure it out eventually. :handgestures-thumbup:

The long frame / stirrup footrests / narrow fender / big-block / gear drive Wheel Horses are definitely my all-time favorite. The less other people show interest in them, the better it makes it for me. B)

1067-1267006.jpg

• Like 9

HorseWhisperer

Well said TT!I have had every model and old geared and red only goes in my shed!Let em pass the skinny hooded no floor board having gems up,Ill give em a home!

• Like 1

Rock farmer

I often wonder about this myself.

The short wheel base tractor would make a better mower as it has a smaller turning radius.

And if mowing was all you intended to do why spend extra money on a long frame?

I think people who intended to work a large garden would spend more money for the

Extra horse power, hitch and attachments.

What the price increases were, and what the economy was like, would factor heavy into ones

Decision too.

I'd bet you four out of five wheel horse customers just used their machines for mowing.

That means there would be four short frame machines to every one long frame.

Plus the long frames may have been worked harder and sent to the scrapper sooner too.

Just my thoughts, I really don't know.

Joe

TT

I'm not exactly sure which one of the two it is yet since ALL of the ID tags are gone, but I'll figure it out eventually. :handgestures-thumbup:

OK - this one is a 1067. It's quite the smoker, but since I only paid $100 for the tractor, there's definitely some "wiggle room" to freshen up the engine. :thumbs2:

• Like 2

octfst

dont know how rare but I love my 867 its a beast it is my user tractor.

• Like 1

wingrider

I agree the 1067 is my favorite also. It was the second WH that I bought, it had just been overhauled, and had a good deck and snow plow with it. Its the one I take to shows to drive around on, and it always starts, I really like the way it makes no noise while starting and its running. I only had to wait for 20 something years to find out what model it was. Good luck with your restore you picked a great tractor to redo.

Wingrider

Ken B

I had what I'll call a 1467 about ten yrs ago. (someone put a 14 Kohler under the hood of a 1067) We were right in the middle of a serious blizzard. I was working a Trojan loader with a 20 ft blade on the front for 12 hrs straight at the local mall. The snow was about 2 ft deep! When I got home for the day I was greeted to over 2 ft. of snow in my driveway. I owned a few different makes of tractors back then, one being a Cub Cadet 125, a hydro with hydro lift and a snow blade on it and the other being a John Deere 112. Well, I knew what to expect from the Cub and I didn't really think that Cub would do very well. I felt the 112 was a little fragile in the tranny dept. and I didn't feel like tearing its tranny up so I never even considered using that one. I never used a Wheel Horse like that 1467 before so I decided to try out that old Wheel Horse. As tired as I was from working all day all I can say is I had a blast! That 1467 had me sold as Wheel Horse being the most capable snow pushers out there. I gave it full hell for at least 2hrs. I couldn't believe how it would drive right on up the snow banks and just keep pushing! The Cubs and John Deere's I had used in the past would never climb a snow bank like that. Sure I had to work it real hard and replace a few bolts that fell out while working it but she got the job done and I had never had that much fun working a tractor before. I was sold, and the off brands got sold!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

MarkPalmer

I got the 867's RM367 mower finished last weekend and mowed my entire yard with the tractor. It didn't miss a beat and it mows pretty good. The little 867 maneuvers well, and the rear discharge deck is nice to be able to mow in close to things on either side. I was able to mow the yard in about the same amount of time it takes with the 44" deck on my Cub just because the 867 can fly around things so easy. I plan to use the 867 a lot just because the K181 uses so little gas. :) I'll keep my eyes open and hopefully a 1067/1267 will come along some day.

-Mark-

bob's toy

Mark, I just bought a 1267. I am just starting to tear it down to do a frame up restoration. Been looking everywhere for info, details, and you are correct that it is not as common as many other models but this one is in such good condition I had to have it. How has your luck been finding your tractor? Any info about decals would be great. 

-Bob-

1967 Wheel Horse 1267

Here's to the men who keep the red horses going

squonk
1967_1267.thumb.JPG.48fe7acf14e08d96818b
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Very nice Mike ready to work and Play if need be. Gary   B. I see this is an old thread. Cool  looking back.

bob's toy

Thank you so much for the decal info. What a great sight they have..I knew joining this forum was a great thing..hope I can help others in any way possible 

• Like 2