Sign in to follow this  
euro55rag

Rj trans... deal breaker?

euro55rag

so i grew up playing on my dads Rj58, it didnt even have a motor but i sure did have hours of fun with it! i recently dragged it out of storage in hopes of getting it going again... when i realized why someone had abandoned it. the trans housing is broken on the bottom with gears pouring out! i am new to tractors but it has sentimental value to me and just wondering if it is a lost cause? i've seen a lot of trans repaires but what are my options in this case? i cant seem to find a complete trans for sale. any advise or info will be greatly appreciated. thanks, Steve

Kelly

welcome, I'm sure if you ask there is a used trans out there to fix your tractor, I know I have sold a few that would have worked for you, I don't have any right now.

AMC RULES

You'll probably get the best results by placing a wanted ad in the classified section here on :rs:

Good luck. :WRS:

rwilson

PM sent!

VinsRJ

I have a good no date code case if interested.

euro55rag

thanks Vin, the only problem with replacing just the case is that i know i have something broken inside which caused the gears to blow out the bottom... so because of my lack of knowledge in this department im thinking the best thing for me is a complete trans. but as i learn more maybe the case would help.

VinsRJ

thanks Vin, the only problem with replacing just the case is that i know i have something broken inside which caused the gears to blow out the bottom... so because of my lack of knowledge in this department im thinking the best thing for me is a complete trans. but as i learn more maybe the case would help.

I've got gears and shafts, the main concern is to look at the wear on the side plates. Even with a complete tranny you will want to rebiuld it because all used tranny's (unless rebiult recently) will have bad axel bushings and seals which causes oil leaks and slop in the axels. You can expect to pay about $100.00 for all of the seals, beairngs and bushings as part of a rebiuld.

euro55rag

i see, well maybe that HUGE access hole in the bottom of mine is beneficial after all! lol im gonna go out and look in mine just to see how bad it looks inside. is there a rebuild kit that comes with everything? or do you just have to know everything you'll need and start hunting?

euro55rag

ok so my giant viewing window in the bottom really helps (although i dont recommend it... lol) the gear i see falling out is the big one on the axle itself. just looks like someone unbolted it from the diff and its hanging from the axle. it is missing at least one tooth and i can see marks and nicks on the wide gear that drove it. but all of the smaller gears on the front shifting end appear to have all of their teeth. i do see a gear that the teeth step down about 1/8" from the egde but its hard to tell if that kinda thing is original or damaged? could that be the reverse gear? they did have a reverse right?lol thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

euro55rag

I've got gears and shafts, the main concern is to look at the wear on the side plates. Even with a complete tranny you will want to rebiuld it because all used tranny's (unless rebiult recently) will have bad axel bushings and seals which causes oil leaks and slop in the axels. You can expect to pay about $100.00 for all of the seals, beairngs and bushings as part of a rebiuld.

hey Vin, the last posts were for you... i just realized how to add you on it. obviously my computer skills and tractor knowledge are on the same level. lol