Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

anybody close with a k341 in loose hands?

rustyoldjunk

the k341 16hp kohler i have is from a C161 and is rubber cradle mounted,now my C160 needs the pan that bolts straight to the frame.im told that the right pan for the 160 wont bolt to this k341 so........while i could drill the extra holes for the cradle and mount it on the 160,i really like the clean bolted staright to the frame look.the k341 does run decent but smokes.i also have a k301 engine from a john deere 112 (wrong pan for the 160 also.)the k301 i dont know much about i hauled the tractor in,never tried to start it and parted the tractor.both engines are complete,the k341 is a running engine,the k301 turns over by hand and has compression but has been sitting for a good while.if anyone is close and has a complete k341 with the right pan on it for my C160 i will trade them two kohlers for one.im going to post in the classifieds.if not i guess i will freshen up the k341,drill the extra holes in the frame and mount the cradle but....... B) i really dont wanna.thoughts on this situation?edit:im in west central indiana,crawfordsville area.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--you have three choices.....

1) Drill the frame for the rubber mount setup

2) Rebuild the motor that is in the tractor currenty and smokes...

3) Buy the correct connecting rod and dipper and install it into the rubber mount engine and then take the oil pan off of the smoking motor and use it. The only difference in these motors is the dipper on the connecting rod. I bet you could put the deeper oil pan from the smoking motor onto the rubber mounted engine and as long as you kept the oil full it would be fine...... The dipper would be short in this setup but as long as there was oil there for it to splash all would be well. I don't know if I would want to run the engine at extreme angles with the short dipper..... no oil to splash would definietly turn the motor into something that resembles---> B)

The more I think about it I would rebuild the original motor and be done with it...

Tony

TT

The only difference in these motors is the dipper on the connecting rod. I bet you could put the deeper oil pan from the smoking motor onto the rubber mounted engine and as long as you kept the oil full it would be fine......

The big oil pans will only bolt to the eared blocks. You can't put a big oil pan on a block that doesn't have the ears because there is nothing to bolt the pan to.

JD is the only strange one in the mix..... on certain models they used a small pan on an eared block and used the block ears to bolt to the engine mounts. B)

Eared block:

ears.jpg

Earless block:

noears.jpg

Docwheelhorse

oooops, Captain Retardo Rides Again!! B) I learn something new everyday.... sorry for the miss info.

Tony