Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Second crop sweet corn

6wheeler

My second crop of sweet corn is getting picked today :greetings-clappingyellow: . I planted 2 150' rows at the end of June 1st week in July. Picked some last nite it was the 85 day variety (peaches and cream) and it looks good with full 10" cobs. A partial row of 95 day should be ready in a week or so if we don't get a hard frost. I was thinking of freezing whole cobs. I have never done that . Has anyone had experience with that? If so, how do I do it. Do I have to blanch it? thanks Pat

Prater

Any Pics? I want to plant corn next year.

Trouty56

I tried freezing whole cobs and I didn't like the taste or texture (tasted cobby and was not crunchy). Id cut it off and freeze it or...dry it....I like it like that too.

Terry M

Pat, maybe I could just stop over and help you eat some. :teasing-poke: :)

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Pat, When I was a kid, I asked my grandma why we had to cut off the corn, she told me that freezing on the cob will make the corn taste like cob when you thaw it and it won't be as sweet. Blanch it to save flavor, cut it off and freeze it. That's what I've always done. My other grandma always froze half like that and canned creamed corn out of the other half. Haven't thought about that in years......Yummm.... I miss her creamed corn.

Trouty56

Canned cream corn...never did it but it sounds delicious....

6wheeler

We shaved the cobs raw and did the freezer corn recipe. If anyone wants the recipe let me know. Oh, and Jason. For the creamed corn. After I trim the corn off I am going to can. Shave the cob a little closer, that is where the cream and heavy sugar comes from. I just mix that with some of the whole corn and it is awesome. One strange thing I found on this later corn was alot more corn worms than usual. It may be because it got so dry here also. I am going to try some again next year. But, I think I am going to get it in about a week earlier to try to catch some more of the heat needed towards the end.

Terry M

sorry Pat,I was just kidding. Jasons right about the freezing, remove it and blanch it and freeze it is the way to go. years ago when I grew sweet corn I vacuum packed and froze some on the cob........I was just thinking it was a good idea ,It didn't taste very good. I didn't know better at the time.

Pat, maybe I could just stop over and help you eat some. :teasing-poke::)

Pat, When I was a kid, I asked my grandma why we had to cut off the corn, she told me that freezing on the cob will make the corn taste like cob when you thaw it and it won't be as sweet. Blanch it to save flavor, cut it off and freeze it. That's what I've always done. My other grandma always froze half like that and canned creamed corn out of the other half. Haven't thought about that in years......Yummm.... I miss her creamed corn.

it wasn't very good.

rydogg

I grew sweet corn for a couple years but realized that the local farmers grow a much better tasting sweet corn and there is a lot of it around me to help myself to :eusa-shhh: . I have a friend that freezes sweet corn and all he does is cuts it from the cob and cooks in in a big kettle with some butter and a little milk he cooks it until it is done and then puts it in freezer containers I haven't tried it yet but he claims it tastes just like fresh from the cob sweet corn.

6wheeler

I just tried some of the second crop corn that I froze. It turned out pretty good but, it seems to have an "old" flavor. Not like the first crop corn. It was still good though. I wonder if the late season growing has something to do with that. I kept it watered well. I wonder if not enough "maturing" time with proper heat was the culprit. It was alot cooler during that time than the earlier growing season. The one thing I did notice was the plants weren't as tall or "thick" as my earlier corn of the same variety. The cobs were good sized but the kernels weren't as big on some of them . Maybe a 65 day variety would be better for the late season. I would imagine the 85 and 95 day varieties I used probably spent more time trying to keep the plant "alive" than producing seed. I am going to try it again this year and we'll see what happens.