Sign in to follow this  
handyman

8 Speed axle OOOPS Info please

handyman

While trying to remove the wheel hub on my Charger 10, I had a gear puller on it and was having no luck. I gave it a couple of good smacks with a hammer and low and behold, the axle shaft slid out. Is there a clip on the end that is supposed to hold the shaft in? I am guessing that I have to split the case now to fix? Any thoughts or suggestions. I hate learning not to do things the hard way.

Raider12

Yes, you are correct! You will have to split the case and open the differential in order to get the axle back on place then reinstall the snap ring. I have have "been there... done that" And it sucks too. I made a custom puller just to pull off my hubs.

HorseFixer

I hate learning not to do things the hard way.

Bro sometimes when ya do things the hard way ya learn more! The school of hard knocks is where I graduated from! TOP OF MY CLASS :whistle: Hang in there It's a learning experience! B)

Duke

proshop

I had to do the same thing. the kepper slid off the shaft and rounded the edges off the end. I would take a thin file and sharpen up the groove before you put the clip back on. mine was on the left side.

handyman

Radair12, I would like to see your puller that you made up yanking the hubs off. Thanks.

Curmudgeon

Here's what I made:

Hubpulleron.jpg

Your's may be different......

linen beige

I have a large bearing seperator from harbor Freight that a puller can be screwed to. It puts pressure on the inner circumference of the "axle tube" portion of the hubs right up against the axle, rather than out on the flange.

You didn't say if you got the hub off the axle. If not, then while the axle is out you should use a good shop press to remove the hub so it won't be stuck if you have to take it off again after this repair.

Raider12

Radair12, I would like to see your puller that you made up yanking the hubs off. Thanks.

Im sorry I didn't post this picture earlier. Her is a pic of the pull for the hubs that I had made.