Sign in to follow this  
WHRaider10

Powdercoating v. spray can

WHRaider10

I'm wondering if anyone has powdercoated their horse, if so I'm looking at a ballpark estimate on price.

In my opinion PC is 10 times better than rattle can.

What do you think?

Dan

whfan74

Welcome to RedSquare.........to answer your question quickly, that would be a yes. Me being one of them.

You can do a search and come up with this........

whfan74

As far as a price, wait until Martin chimes in. He powder coats his tractors as well and does a magnificent job. Plus he does it for a living.

Well my prices are pretty good and haven't found anyone that could beat it anywhere.

It all depends on what type of finish you are going for. For me I like the fact that it is tougher than regular paint and once it is cooled you can start reassembly right away. I have two young kids that love to play on the tractors so add everything up and it is a perfect match for me.

Jake Kuhn

powdercoat is much more durable, but if you want it to be pretty you can't do much prep work with powdercoat. Its pretty much however your metal is is how its coming back, just shinier. If its a worker, powdercoat is the way to go, but if you want it to be a show tractor you probably want to look into painting it with a spray can or taking it to a body shop. ~Jake

• Like 1

rmaynard

Jake is right. Powder coat is the most durable of the finishes, but you have to do touch-up with paint. You can do body work, but the filler that you use should be metallic. Most plastic fillers will melt when the item is put into the oven.

Martin

well everyone that knows me will understand my biased opinion. like jake said its not a show quality finish, but it does turn out with a real nice shine and its very durable. for me its the way to go......

like scott said i do it for a living, but in the end its really up to you and what finish you really want. if you want to do it powder you really need to find somebody who is reasonably priced though, as it can be expensive, the place i work at isnt cheap, except for me, as its a bonus for me working there that i get to do whatever i want to take in as long as i do it after hours....

as long as i can do the tractors powder, i will always choose it over wet spray every time. its easier, gives a great finish that can be worked on as soon as the parts are cool to touch, and i dont have any mess to clean up. you really have to make sure that whatever masking is needed on parts is done as it is hard to remove easily.

back to price again, look to spend anywhere from what scott gets them done for, i think he has mentioned under $200? up to what a large company like i work for, who doesnt really want to be bothered with the detail needed with small parts and low volume, they would charge you around $4-500.....

if you want to see how my work looks and some of the problems i come across painting old stuff using powder, just check out some of my threads, i use ppg case red polyester for my red......

most of my stuff is in the links in my signature.....

Martin

oh and another thing.....

im too impatient to deal with spraycans, it takes more prep, more time to get a nice build up, and way to long to cure out so you can assemble parts......

WHRaider10

Awesome! Thanks for the replies gentlemen, This will be a work tractor and that's why I want to powdercoat it. I've had bad success with rattle can paint and lawnmowers. But I've heard about great success with powdercoating as well as the above forementioned advantages.

Just to give a look at what I got, this is the post I started 3 years ago. I had ran into some other projects that slowed me from my Horse, I'm hoping to finally restore it this year.

http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=13481

Thanks

Dan

Terry M

it cost me $100 to powder coat the four rims for the 606. I don't know if thats a good or ok price but I was happy that I paid it when I saw the results....no mess to clean-up , paint to mix and I didn't have to wait for good weather.

Kelly

I have a local place that treats me right, I have not done a tractor but lots of smaller stuff, wheels they blast them and powder them for $10 each for fronts and $15 each for rears, they blasted and powdered a dymp trailer last year for $150 that was in pieces but it was rims and the whole trailer, turn around time has been about a week or so with them, I'm very happy and will take more to them as needed.

Terry M

wow kelly, that seems like almost too good of a deal... wish I had a place like that near me!! :)

Zeek

Ha Ha . . . I feel your pain :banghead: . I bought a Raider 12 two years ago and I'm still working on it due to "other projects" like these:

rmaynard

My powder coat guy does four rims for $55.00. That includes sandblasting, then coating.

whfan74

Not to boast but my guy blasts and powder coats the entire tractor, minus the block of the motor, for $150. :eek:

Terry M

I have a local place that treats me right, I have not done a tractor but lots of smaller stuff, wheels they blast them and powder them for $10 each for fronts and $15 each for rears, they blasted and powdered a dymp trailer last year for $150 that was in pieces but it was rims and the whole trailer, turn around time has been about a week or so with them, I'm very happy and will take more to them as needed.

My powder coat guy does four rims for $55.00. That includes sandblasting, then coating.

Not to boast but my guy blasts and powder coats the entire tractor, minus the block of the motor, for $150. :eek:

Hmm, I need to do some negotiating with my powder coat guy or move with my hobby to indiana. :angry-banghead: :scratchead:
  • Like 1

Rooster

I have noticed the idea here seems to be only 2 choices...Rattle Cans or Powder Coat...

There are a whole lot of options in between and above!

A quality tractor paint can be sprayed from an inexpensive gun which will leave a much better finish, be decades more durable and even less expensive than rattle cans and a fraction of the cost of PC.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Although I have my wheels powder coated, I paint my tractor with a single-stage acrylic urethane automotive paint from PPG. The finish is durable, and it has the high gloss that I like for my show horses. Total cost to paint my Commando 8 was under $200.00

• Like 1

Terry M

I have noticed the idea here seems to be only 2 choices...Rattle Cans or Powder Coat...

There are a whole lot of options in between and above!

A quality tractor paint can be sprayed from an inexpensive gun which will leave a much better finish, be decades more durable and even less expensive than rattle cans and a fraction of the cost of PC.

thats true, but for a guy like me its a lot of work to clean out the garage and cover everything to prevent overspray, then with my limited painting skills try to make it look nice. havn't had good luck with painting my 606, but itslooking ok for me. painted some smaller parts with rattle can and that seems to look a lot better. just my 2 cents.

Rooster

Smaller parts are far easier than rattle canning a hood! And don't get me wrong, I have seem and painted some nice looking tractors with rattle cans! None of mine are painted inside any more unless I'm really wanting them to look extra nice. I have made some easy up open sided paint booths. I live in the land of never ending wind! I have hung sheets of plastic from a rope between 2 trees, a ladder and my garage, etc.,. I put the booth "sides" up up wind of where i am spraying to stop blowing debris getting in the paint. Then roll a piece out on the ground and set up your parts.

Another advantage to my out door booth, no light is as good as sun light for painting IMO.

I'm not a painter, lol, so I know one of you pro's will probably blast me for this. But for $5 garage sail cup gun and $30 in paint I think they look great!

Terry M

I painted my 606 hood outside with other small parts two weeks ago. it looks .....ok ,has several specks or bugs in the paint. the under side of the hood looks to be worse as one of the air holes plugged while spraying, but It might be good enough to show as long as no one opens the hood. But I'm going to wet sand and use some compound to see if I can get it better looking. the small stuff turned out fine.

I envy you guys who have a nice shop to work in. :)