Sign in to follow this  
perry

fire destroys simplicity

perry

bummed out about this one. this tractor belongs to a good buddy of mine . he drove 5hrs one way to the U.P michigan to get it a few years ago. kelly was here when we unloaded it and this was a nice original tractor. this happen over 4th july week. unknown what cause the fire. it was a 98 degree day and just filled the gas to very top. sent his 13yr old boy out to mow. minutes later he heard yelling and screaming. tractor was fully ingulfed the time he got out of the house. he managed to put it out with a garden hose. son said he saw flames comeing out from the gas tank fill hole in the hood and shut it off and took off running. thankfully his son did not get hurt.

I know the gas cap did not have the greatest seal . only thing we can figure is , hot day, full tank , + fumes and it ignited. I am hopeing the engine is salvagable. most of the fire is from the gas tank tower back. the flywheel side of the engine took some heat. the rest of the engine looks good. hope the deck is good also

PARTS013.jpg

PARTS014.jpg

PARTS020.jpg

PARTS018.jpg

PARTS016.jpg

PARTS021.jpg

PARTS019.jpg

picked up a replacement tractor for him over the weekend

sim3310H.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scared-eek: Note to self...I'm thinking it's time for a couple new gas caps here.

Thanks for the heads up Perry. :thumbs:

Sparky

Glad to hear no one including the young driver were hurt Perry.

Good luck with the replacement tractor.

I personally never fill my tractors to the tippity top.

Mike..........

KC9KAS

I too am glad no-one was hurt. I would think the engine would be ok...You said the boy shut if off then bailed off.......

Jake Kuhn

Thats too bad that happened. Glad nobody was hurt and hope the tractor can be brought back to life someday. ~Jake

perry

:scared-eek:Note to self...I'm thinking it's time for a couple new gas caps here.

Thanks for the heads up Perry. :thumbs:

yep i have a few that leak also, but i never fill them all the way up.

Zeek

That stinks . . . that was a cool tractor. Looks like it may be salvageable though.

krazy_horse

One of my buds filled his 8N to the brim several years ago and was pulling his woods mower on a hill,you guessed it . fuel came out on the hot engine and she burnt to the ground. I hope you fellows find a good replacement.

855ownerJoel

Never ever fill a fuel tank up full on a hot day! The cold fuel expands and will overflow from the heat. This really is not uncommon. I was on a fire department and saw this several times.

SousaKerry

I think i musta been blessed as a kid to never catch a tractor on fire. On the farm we had a 500gal gas tank with a hand operated pump. My standard procedure was to drive up beside the tank kill the ignition put the hose in the tank and pump like hell until the gas came spilling out the top. Of coarse this only happened when Dad wasn't around or I'd get my but beat for wasting that precious 85 cent gasoline. For some odd reason the grass didn't grow too well around that tank :confusion-scratchheadblue: