Sign in to follow this  
Curmudgeon

Wheel Horse distribution

Curmudgeon

I know there have been threads asking why Wheel Horses tend to be where they are. Do you think I can them now? Of course not! However, while digging for torque/horsepower graphs I came across this Distribution Center map from a 1974 brochure:

Distributioncenters.jpg

BPjunk

Well Dale,

The distribution map does exsplain why I found some Wheel Horses where I did BUT .........

1) a RJ-58 in Salt Lake City, Utah? B)

2) questions I got about repairing a mower deck in South America? B)

3) AND I have never understood this one as NO grass or any thing else grows there ..... a 1961 model 701 in San Antonio, Texas? :whistle:B)

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Curmudgeon

People move and take their loved little red tractors with them?

TT

Forgive me for typing this, but back when that map was created in 1974, did you see any Mexicans in Richmond, VA ?

I'll bet there are some there now though! :whistle:

Some of them might have even gotten there on a Wheel Horse! I believe it's called migration. (legal or not) B)

Teddy da Bear

Well Dale said it was a distribution center map.

Does not indicate area of dealerships. That would be a key difference.

It is a gernerality....but not totally indicative of sales.

Even South Bend was not listed as a distibution center.

I hope wheel horse was not dumb like the postal service. Did they send them first to Indy and then back to South Bend? I hope not.

B) Just as a side note. In order for my next door neighbor to receive my mail.....it must now go through a distibution center in Kalamazoo (60 some miles away). Can you say....."stamp price hike"??? Such infinate wisdom! :whistle:

Buzz

3) AND I have never understood this one as NO grass or any thing else grows there ..... a 1961 model 701 in San Antonio, Texas? B):whistle:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

That one belongs to our old friend Jim Tee AKA dirty dingus McGee. he checks in on the Yahoo group every year or two.

CasualObserver

Even South Bend was not listed as a distibution center.

I hope wheel horse was not dumb like the postal service. Did they send them first to Indy and then back to South Bend? I hope not.

South Bend didn't need a distribution center.... they had the first dealership next door to the factory! I'd guess the tractors sold there never saw a truck until they were on they're way to someone's house!

Chandlers... you can see pictures in this thread.... Duke stopped by on his way home from the show in June.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3406

CasualObserver

Hrmmm.... I guess by the time that distribution map was made though... the factory had already moved onto the newer, bigger location.... B) Chandler's was and still is there though!

combatmp29r

Elmco Distribution I believe was the Pasippany NJ distribution center. How do I know this? The NOS snow cab for the verts has it marked on the box. Now I suppose that that could have been The Original Cab Companies distribution sit, but I doubt they both had one in the same town. I google Elmco Distribution and got nothing for Parsipppany NJ. After seeing Dales map though it makes more sense. B)

BadDad

B) Well I live in Austin Texas & we have to mow our grass here.(I do not water my lawn) I have a C160 & a 1100 special. When I left Ohio to retire to Fl.. I took them with me, then I moved to Texas to get away from the hurricanes I took them with me. I have now bought 3 more- a 800 special, 657, & a 855. I am having them shipped to me freight. I think anyone who spends time with the little red tractor knows how well they were built & how nice of a job they do. If you have ever had any other lawn tractor of lesser quality you can appreciate what I am saying. My dad bought a tractor from Montgomery wards. The only thing I can say about that is it didn

jerrell

B) i joined this group about 2 months ago, and it came pretty clear to me when i started ordering equipment for my c175, plows and hitches where most of the wh's were, i live 30 miles north of Little Rock Arkansas and i bought a wh in 1982 from a dealer in jaxsonville AR, the Air Force used them on the LRAFB, almost exclusively, i don't remember what tractor it was, i believe it had an 18hp , i remember it was super strong, i remember it would rear up when hooked up to something heavy, and that was the reason i bought another wh, instead of the throwaways on the market today, bytheway, i have a craftsman, and three murrays that are pieces of junk, i can't keep them running so am just using one of the murrays to run around in the mud with, also my10 year old son gets a kick out of it. but that is all it is good for. i wouldn't have anything but a horse now. just my 2 cents worth. :whistle: