wh79d160

D front hub conversion

wh79d160

Ok, Here is the deal. I got a D200 (Mr. May 2011) It has a damaged front spindle(1") & crack/mushroomed out rim. It's too difficult & expensive to try to find parts. I've been brainstorming about putting 4 stud trailer hubs on the front(repair the axel) but I don't want to use a tappered brg as I don't want to have to put threads on the outside of the spindle to preload the assy. I would rather use sealed brgs similar to the way the stock rim is, or like alot of mower decks are but use the internally threaded stock mounting screw that's on the outer end of the spindle. I thought on the old site, someone did this, but I can't find it anywhere for D series. I also want to use the trailer hub because I can have a choice of different sized tire/wheel combo's for different applications. Anyone ever considered this??? Any input would be welcomed. As always, thanks in advance.

Scrumpy

There is a set of 1 inch rims in the classified section for a good price right now that might be easier than the conversion.

Trouty56

I've thought about a couple ways of going this. Both I've seen on different applications, The first is pretty complicated and involves making a kingpin type of new spindle. Way out of my league but it looks fantastic. The other is buying a 1 1/2 inch axle spindle and drilling the center out to 1 inch. This slips over the existing spindle. This could be done on 3/4 inch spindles also with 1 inch axle spindles (this was how I saw it being done). I'm sure there are machinists that could do this close to you. The axle nut's cotter pin held it in place.....had to drill the old spindle to accept it.

One other option that I want to check out. Using 520 front spindles on a D series. The part that goes in the cast axle looks to be the same length but I'm not sure the angle is correct. My nephew has a set I'm gonna look at here soon. At least he did have them. Maybe he sold them...lol....

Don1977

I put 3500 # trailer spindles on my C-120. As said above I drill out the center to except the 3/4" original spindle. I cut off part of the original WH spindles. I also cut 2" or so off the back of the trailer spindles before drilling them then drilled a 1/2" hole between the bearing surface to add additional weld along with welding the back.

2009-06-06005-1.jpg

I have thought of reinforcing the 3/4" below the axle just never go around to it. It's mostly use to mow any way.

Trouty56

them then drilled a 1/2" hole between the bearing surface to add additional weld along with welding the back

Now that's a good idea.....

73-18 automatic

I did this about 3 years ago and it worked out really good