Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

ANYBODY EVER BUY STENS KIT FROM OHIO?

illinilefttackle

B) Hi Guys- Has anyone of you ever bought one of these kits from ohio-Ebay? Where you able to make out the installation instructions for the piston rings?

They send you little pics of what your rings are supposed to look like-NOT.

I've installed a ton of rings over the years-I'm kinda going by instinct here.

The oil ring is no prob.

The 2nd ring has a bevel on the inside next to piston-which I installed UP.

The top ring(has a little silver bead of metal on it) also has the same bevel and I installed it up.

A lot of ring sets have little dots on the ring,near the gap, to be installed UP.

These rings have 2 little ** on them in the same place-I installed them up-correct?

ringquestion.jpg

TT

Yep..... inside bevels go toward the top of the piston, Al. I don't use Stens parts, but the OEM Kohler rings are the same.

The bevel acts as an "air wedge". The compressed air actually gets behind the rings and pushes them tighter against the cylinder wall for a better seal.

illinilefttackle

Yep..... inside bevels go toward the top of the piston, Al. I don't use Stens parts, but the OEM Kohler rings are the same.

The bevel acts as an "air wedge". The compressed air actually gets behind the rings and pushes them tighter against the cylinder wall for a better seal.

:whistle: Thanks TT- I thought that was true from my days of installing "Hastings" & "Perfect Circle" ring sets, but Ya never about these chinese rings-their on the opposite side of world Don't Ya Know! If I remember right, too, the ring with the silver edge is to help resist heat-therefore the TOP ring.

They look like good parts-I guess we'll soon see-Thanks again!-AL B)

TT

I think it's actually molybdenum, Al - as in "moly". Moly-faced rings won't wear as quickly as a plain cast iron ring, and they can withstand more heat. They seem to seat easier than a true "chrome" ring too. B)