Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

What would you do with it?

The Rusty Model 702  

27 members have voted

1. 1. I took this tractor with it's 50 years of accumulated gunk to work with me for a much needed steam cleaning. Now that I can see what I'm working with, I'm wondering what direction I sould take this project?

• Strip it down and restore it like Martin does?
    • Stop messing with it and leave it alone?
    • Park it back outside for another 50 years?

AMC RULES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKCjLUKBUJE&list=UUd_ptV1TUpPlW1VhCjxez_Q&index=1&feature=plcp

post-3498-0-74499100-1345989118_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Foozerush

Put a belt guard on it and keep it the way it is, I like the look of the hood on it, gives it the real worker look... And the other one rocks also..

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

I think a resto would make it a really nice tractor,but it is pretty cool the way it is. I like the look with no fenders but I think it could use a belt guard too. Jake

smoreau

First of all Craig, what do you want to do with it? Do you want a trailer queen, or a driver but looks nice, or a good solid worker. doing up real nice like Martins is a lot of work and is not as easy as he makes it look! I have camped next to Martin this summer and his tractors are very nice! He takes a lot of pride in his work and it really shows when you look at them in person. my personal opinion , and this is mine only, is if I own a tractor, it has to earn its keep! If I don't have it for a reason to have it, it has to go! All mine have a purpose and I'm not afraid to use them. The 875 is the only show tractor I have and it has a lot of flaws, but I am not afraid to jump on it and take it for a cruse down the road of through a trail. It earned its keep years ago! its now a retired family keep sake. All the others are just rattle canned and look nice. I am very happy with my collection and very proud to show them off to any one that wants to see them! So it comes down to what do you want to use this tractor for? then you will have your answer! But I would first make sure I had every thing for it and put together to make sure every thing fits and works like it should, then e-tank every thing and brake out the rattle cans and make it a nice looking worker! that is to nice of a tractor to not take it for a ride!

Martin

keep it the way it is. doing them up nice is a lot of work, and then you dont really enjoy them as much. i use all of mine and they all get dirty. im not afraid to drive them on dirt, because they clean up.

BUT....

the most fun i have on mine is on the workers. the c125 i just finished looks nice , but on purpose i didnt do all the dents and spend the time like i did on the 1057. i spent about 5 1/2 weeks total on the 125 and skipped over a lot of stuff that was worn or not as good as it could have been, but could still go a few more rounds in the wheelhorse ring. slowly some of it will get fixed, and some wont....

i wanted an newer looking tractor that i could really enjoy at the same time. i am going to do a couple more like this, the next one kent and i will be doing his 875, and it will look shiny and clean, but as the guys at the michigan show saw, he is a 12 year old boy and treats whatever he drives like a 12 year old boy. i just want him to have something that looks a little nicer.

i think you will enjoy it a whole lot more leaving it the way it is, maybe just improve on it a little at a time, not cosmetics but fixing any worn items and small stuff that really makes them nicer to ride......

Lars

Hey C u forgot somthing in the vote... LOL

AMC RULES

What was that Lars?

Lars

What was that Lars?

Shipp it to :norway::laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl:
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Sure, once you get that blackhood started on it's way to the USA. :teasing-poke:

smoreau

After sleeping on this issue, it is a great candidate for a full restore as it does not have its original paint on the hood and other panels. It could be a very sharp looking tractor all dune up like it was brand new! But that's not my thing, and I would make it look and function like it should and do the hood and tins nice, and clean and paint every thing else so it looks good again. then you would have a great tractor that you could be proud to show off, but still able to take for a ride and enjoy! That's the option that's missing in the vote.

squonk

Put a belt guard on it and wear some shoes when you run mowers on it! :ychain:

rmaynard

I would strip it down to the yellow paint and leave it there. :)

• Like 1

Tankman

Belt guard and enjoy. Very nice looker as is, made to wo...wo.....work!

I had a few of these 'bout 40 years ago, my first Wheel Horses. Fond memories, kids 'n tractor pulls, parades.

Camped at the Rough 'n Tumble site in Kinzers, PA.

First "real" tractor was a '32 Farmall, restored, used in parades only.

Lars

Sure, once you get that blackhood started on it's way to the USA. :teasing-poke:

:omg: :scratchead:

AMC RULES

Any idea what the yellow paint is all about Bob?

Found it on the frame, footrests, engine tins, and a small bit remained on the hood too.

Seems kinda strange to find it under the factory red.

krazy_horse

I like as it is, I am more into function rather than shiney but that is just me. But I sure wish my 653 looked as good as yours. Jim

• Like 1

rmaynard

Any idea what the yellow paint is all about Bob?

Found it on the frame, footrests, engine tins, and a small bit remained on the hood too.

Seems kinda strange to find it under the factory red.

Don't know. It was on my Commando 8 as well.

squonk

There used to be an "Industrial" type of primer back in the 60's. It had a yellow tint. The name of it escapes me. Maybe that's it? :scratchead:

Don1977

There used to be an "Industrial" type of primer back in the 60's. It had a yellow tint. The name of it escapes me. Maybe that's it? :scratchead:

Zinc-chromemate the Navy used it under red-lead primer to help dry the red lead.

AMC RULES

I just gotta say, to all you guys who recommended a belt guard...you sure weren't kidding.

Man! What a difference...check out this before and a few afters. :)

post-3498-0-90451700-1345939938_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-45589000-1345940207_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-94764500-1345940304_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-45212500-1345940344_thumb.jp

KC9KAS

My opinon....Needs belt guard, fenders and a fresh coat of paint....It can still be a worker...a nice looking worker!

Lars

My opinon....Needs belt guard, fenders and a fresh coat of paint....It can still be a worker...a nice looking worker!

Agree you don't need to put ur soul into it. to make it looks like a nice work
  • Like 1

tunahead72

I'm wondering what direction I sould take this project?

I vote south, generally, depending on where exactly in New York you're located. :)

• Like 1

Cole

belt guard, fenders, no paint, if its gonna be a worker. but if its gonna be a show queen then i would give it a full restore and nice paint, when you have a worker that has paint better than origonal it always it soooo hard to keep clean, i know im always cleaning mine every day, im surprised i havent rubbed the paint off yet lol

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

that paint sure made a difference! I definitely think she could use a coat of paint after seeing that. I kinda like the look with no fenders on it,but I think it could use the 6-12's on the rear. Any way you go,it sure will be one cool tractor when finished! ~Jake

• Like 1