Sign in to follow this  
uidb5259

Rear Discharge deck shutting off

uidb5259

I have a 314-8 1995 Wheel Horse with a RD 42" deck and I keep running into an issue where the blades stop turning when there is a spot of high grass. Is this normal or is there something wrong? I am new to having the Wheel Horse so I am a rookie. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kpinnc

Under normal conditions it could be one of two things: Either the belt is slipping or the PTO clutch is, and needs adjustment. Both are simple fixes, but you will have to determine which is happening. When the blades stop turning in high grass, does the PTO still turn? If so it's the belts, if not it's the clutch adjustment.

The tensioner on the mule drive (black knob on the front) can be tightened by "loosening" the knob. It will take up any slack in the deck's drive (engine to deck) belt. The deck belt itself (stays with the deck when removed) is tensioned with a spring, so if it's the one that is slipping you may need to replace it.

The PTO clutch rod is threaded where it attaches to the clutch itself. Open the bail as if you were removing the belt, and turn the trunnion CCW to effectively lengthen the rod. The PTO should just slip when released (with the deck belt on), but not at all when engaged.

As always, new belts are never a bad idea if adjustments don't work.

uidb5259

The PTO is not turning when the blades stop. It stops completely. If I leave the blades activated you will see smoke coming from the engine (not that I have done that or anything). So I will try your PTO clutch adjustment and see if that fixes the issue. I was really annoyed when my neighbor's cheap Craftsman mower could mow but my Wheel Horse would shut the blades off!

tommyg

The PTO is not turning when the blades stop. It stops completely. If I leave the blades activated you will see smoke coming from the engine (not that I have done that or anything).

The smoke is probably coming from the clutch. It's got pressure against the PTO, but not enough to keep the blades turning when you're mowing. If you keep the PTO engaged without the blades turning, you'll eventually burn up the clutch, so be careful. And about your neighbor's Craftsman, sometimes you just have to eat humble pie. Just remember to return the favor when his tractor goes belly up in couple years and he's out looking for a used horse! :)