Sign in to follow this  
Marv

Final paint polishing

Marv

After final painting with IH red, is sanding with 1000 grit then using a polishing compound a good idea? Will it make the paint shine better? Should I just leave it as painted? I haven't done much painting so I am a novice at this.

stevebo

Wet sanding with 1000 or even higher would be fine. Make sure that you only wet sand the flat areas that you can get the buffer on. If you are not good with the buffer I would shy away as you can easily burn the paint and be forced to start over.

Ken B

I'm with Steve here. If you have no experience with a buffer it can be one of your worst enemies. I think you'd have to go higher than 1000 grit. I usually go to 1500 for a trailer queen tractor and then buff it out. If you don't have enough coats of paint on the tractor you need to remember that when you wet sand and buff, you are removing paint.

rmaynard

If you are not experienced with fine sanding and polishing, I would leave the final finish as-is. Way too often a novice will sand too hard or get too close to edges and sand through the paint. Trust me on this one. I used to refinish furniture, and until I had the experience, I was always cutting through the finish on the edges.

Unless you are going for the trailer queen look, the way the paint dries is the way I would leave it.

Marv

Thanks for the suggestions. I may just leave it as is when painted. I had hoped for a look close to the original which was a little more shine. Would it make a difference to just hand rub with a polishing compound?

Zeek

This was posted before. Can't vouch for the validity, but it's sure as heck entertaining

Marv

Zeek, That sure is interesting. I may be able to do something after all. Here is the fender I painted with Valspar IH red. It actually has a bit more shine than shown in the picture.

post-5287-0-50872500-1345840767.jpg

post-5287-0-19711400-1345840768.jpg

post-5287-0-88826900-1345840768.jpg

JackC

Zeek, thanks for the video. Amazing what can be done with Rustoleum and a roller.

Marv, how did you apply the paint, spray can or spray gun and what prep did you do?

Coadster32

Pretty cool video. No waste at all, and no messy overspray.

Marv

Jackc,

I applied the paint with a gun. Prep: stripped paint, applied primer, wet sanded primer with 400 sandpaper, applied a top coat, wet sanded with 400, applied another coat, wet sanded with 400, then applied final coat.

COMMANDO6

Wow. Never would have thought to use a roller.

Jesse

Thanks for the suggestions. I may just leave it as is when painted. I had hoped for a look close to the original which was a little more shine. Would it make a difference to just hand rub with a polishing compound?

I'm no expert but the only way to get the haze out of wet sanded paint is to use a buffer. I would wet sand it with 2500 or finer. Use 3m polishing compound on a foam pad, then finish with 3m Finesse-it on a finer pad. when you have to buff close to an edge, make sure to tilt the buffer slightly so that its spinning away from the edge and not against it. Never had much luck with glazes.

prondzy

I had wondered about using a clay bar kit available at auto stores I have one already (meguiars) and have used it on the motorcycle it works nice removes small imperfections, over sprays, then put on a cleaner wax and then final wax. ? Any thoughts? Or just a waist of time for enamel? Although it is a tractor and not a museum piece.

Jesse

I wouldn't use a clay bar if you don't need it, especially a Meguire's. The hood on my black trans am was wiped out by a meguire's clay bar. I asked them about it but they pretty much told me I did it wrong, but I've been detailing cars for over 10 years. But the cleaner wax and then a sealer wax is a good Idea.