Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

pulley sizing for racing

can whlvr

so im thinking on selling my c160 8 speed that has a small honda on it,a friend wants to buy it to race,hes never raced yet so he doesnt know much about it yet,i was wondering what pullies you guys have used to get what types of speed,i know he will have to increase engine size and decrease trannie,i think hes gonna use a cheap china motor so it will have a 3/4 or 1 inch engine shaft,so he might be able to get pullies for the motor,just curious what you guys have used

littleredrider

I had a 5" I think on my ranger when I first put the 13 horse in it. Tranny was a 2" I think. It would haul ass, but guessing it would only do about 20 or so. This was with the 18" Ags, so putting some 23" or similar size on it will be faster yet.

3609horse

I picked up a Camando 800 from a guy and he had a 6" pully on the engine and about a 1-1/4" on the transmission. This thing went fast, too fast to do anything with so I changed everything back to stock, now my son has it and he changed a few things it's fast but not as fast as before. Don't know how the transmission would hold up to that kind of speed?

Gene

Don1977

The racing lawn mowers I have seen around here have a live axle with chain drive like a go kart. Don't knows what the transmission is out of that they use. It's for a vertical shat engine with a chain drive out to the rear axle. They have the mower lowered down with 5" go-kart wheels and tires and go-kart type steering and front axle. There was a family, that lives close to me, that was into lawn mower big time. They have 20 to 25 HP vertical shaft engine on them.

can whlvr

thanks guys,it gives me some ideas to give him where to start