Sign in to follow this  
Don1977

417-A Wheel Horse

Don1977

My neighbor bought a 417 with the engine in a couple of boxes. He got the engine back together and running good. It's not charging, the first thing I noticed was no wire from the rectifier center terminator. There was two wires off the back terminator of the alternator plug one to the alternator and one going some other place, don't think that wire should be there. Don't know if that is the charging wire. I checked the voltage from the alternator at 25 volts but not sure how fast the engine was running. May have to check it again running faster. The man who he bought it from said his son-in- law took the engine apart, he may be the one who screwed up the wiring.

smoreau

2 wires should come from the stator behind the flywheel and they go to the outside two terminals of the regulator. The center (charge wire) terminal should go to the tractor fuse box for charging the battery.

smoreau

The stator makes a ac voltage and the regulator converts it to dc voltage. 26 volts sounds like the ac side your measuring.

Don1977

I know why it's not charging, the wire is not connected to the center terminal. I don't see any reason for the extra wire connected to the back terminal of the rectifier. There is a connector with two wire coming to the engine one is blue and the other is white are these the only wires connected to a 417 engine?

I was think automatic when I started this post but it's a 417-H.

smoreau

You might have a onen voltage regulator on it. The extra wire is for a tach. I have both a 85 and 86 417A tractors and there is only 3 wires going to the voltage regulator, so I don't know what your extra wire is for

smoreau

I was think automatic when I started this post but it's a 417-H.

A is for automatic in the mid 80's

Don1977

Got the wiring fixed and the rectifier was bad . We replaced that and got it charging.