Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

what parts are availible?

rustyoldjunk

the C160 that i have has an unknown transaxle from a 312 in it,that im pretty sure wasnt original to the 312,i am getting ready to tear into the original C160 transaxle to rebuild it and im wondering where i will be getting parts from.i have another frame (the 312 donor tractors frame) that i want to use to build another C series tractor and i want to use the unknown (at this point) tranny on it and put the original tranny back under the the C160 trans back under it.so as i start this endever (boy B) wish i could spell) im woundering what parts i will be searching ebay for and what parts toro will have availible.the C160 has sentemental (did i mention i wish i could spell"? B) ) value.my father in law bought it restored several years ago and,he tells me eventually broke a pin in the transaxle.then replaced it with a non hardened bolt which promtedly broke again.so he gave it to my BIL who stripped the engine,wiring,and sheet metal and his kids rode used it like a go kart riding what was left of it down BIGGG hill and generally beating it as an old toy until i got it.i rebuilt it with the original sheet metal,the rear out of the 312,great running K301 engine and rewiring it from scractch ( im sure some of you remember the thread with.) well now i have a original style K341 to put on it and while im doing it i want to rebuild the original transaxle and put back under it and im itching to get at my project of the 312 frame,unknow transaxle and K301 Cseries built with a few mods :whistle: ........so as i was saying,im assumeing since there was plenty of grinding metal in the original C160 transaxle i will need to do a full rebuild on it.does anyone know if seals and bearings are still availible new? how about gears and other internal parts? if not the original part numbers, can they be cross referranced to a newer series (400 or 500) ?

MaineDad

I am in the process of fixing my c-160 tranny. In the process, I have found the manual online and discovered a lot of people have some of these just lying around. I just bought a backup tranny (or for parts not sure yet) on eBay. I also know a few people who have some trannys just collecting dust. PM me and I can give you a few names and numbers if you wish. My guess is that you have the c-160 auto with manual lift correct?

Curmudgeon

I was guessing he had an 8-speed?????

Seals, bearings shift forks, etc. are generally available, but if you get into replacing gears, you could spend as much for one gear as you would for an entire used transmission. If there is much damage, a parts tranny would be the way to go.

kpinnc

If it is an 8 speed, all of the gears (except the differential and axles) from the 312 will interchange to the C.

Same goes for the bearings, except the outer axle needle bearings...

The cases are the same, with the exception of the axle holes. The 312 used 1 inch axles, where the C used 1 and 1/8th...

In other words, you may already have a donor tranny, depending on what is broke.

Good luck!

Kevin