Sign in to follow this  
commando 6

Rear Hitch is stuck on my Commando

commando 6

My rear hitch that adjusts up and down is stuck. I have given it the old penetrant, but I still have to literally use a prybar to move it. The only way I could use my plow was to unhook the cable to the rear hitch. There are no grease zerks anywhere on it. I pulled the keepers and tried a punch, the pin will not budge, either direction.

Any suggestions?

AMC RULES

Repeated applications of the ol' PB Blaster will do the trick.

Just don't get in a hurry, and it will eventually happen.

The last thing you want to do is mushroom the ends of that pin.

commando 6

I have used a half a can of PB Blaster so far, it just does not seem to be helping at all. I will hit it with blaster every evening for a while and see if it finally gets there, but I don't see it happening. If I put the tractor on its side to allow the lube to run down the pin, is there a preferable side to put the tractor on?

Doorvip

Maybe a little propain torch heat, then a few taps?

SNYFIX

Torch might burn the gasket causing a leak requiring a tear down !! There's a penetrant out there called Kroil which frees up stuck pistons and the like just nicely -- try that --

kloe0699

Repeated applications of the ol' PB Blaster will do the trick.

Just don't get in a hurry, and it will eventually happen.

The last thing you want to do is mushroom the ends of that pin.

Keep putting the blaster to it and moving it. Eventually it will losen up. They can be difficult at times.

COMMANDO6

You know, I have the same issue. I just haven't gotten around to using the PB Blaster. I just disconnected the cable from the hitch so it is stuck in the down position.

CasualObserver

do a search for combinations of the words stuck slot rear hitch pin.... you'll find LOTS of topics and suggestions. Seems to me we just discussed this again a week or two ago.

CasualObserver

Here's a couple of my favorites.... you'll notice that they all link to each other as well....

http://www.wheelhors...anyone-do-this/

http://www.wheelhors...h-pin-removal/

http://www.wheelhors...2-clevis-hitch/ (This one is in the FAQ section)

SousaKerry

I had one so bad once that I actually cut it into 3 pieces with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel, once the hitch was out it came right out, don't know why though musta been stuck in the hitch more then the tranny

608KEB

I tried PB blaster on a hydro push valve for 2 months. I just got it loose today after heating it with a torch. I wouldn't use a torch but if you get it free use anti-seize lubricant when putting it back together.