Boston Horse

Hi Lift Blade tabs

Boston Horse

I am looking to get more suction out of my 37" SD deck on my 1987 310-8 to help prevent clogging in the chute when grass is a bit taller or slightly damp. The deck cuts awsome when it's dry but sometimes clogs when the conditions are not perfect. I saw some lift tabs - part 105194. My question is has anyone used them before? Do they help? Is it difficult to drill the holes in the blade while keeping the blade balanced? Is it worth $30? Any insight would be helpful! Right now - the left and right blades are identical, and it seems logical that the right blade will need some help, since it is doing double duty... thoughts?

TT

The lift tabs are part of the bagger "kit". LINK to illustrated parts list.

I had one of those decks on a 312-A and didn't have many problems - except when trying to use the bagger any time other than 2PM to 4PM.

As long as the grass was dry and no tree roots snagged the front of the deck shell, it did a decent job. :handgestures-thumbup:

Boston Horse

TT - thanks for the link! But you lost me on the 2-4pm thing... Are you saying that you have used the lift blades and thought they helped get the grass into the bagger or is just a waste? Also - can I bolt these onto a set of blades by drilling holes in them or should I buy the blades with the holes already drilled from the factory, assuming such a part exists. Thanks!

TT

The grass was driest between 2 & 4PM - which was the only time it willfully passed through the tube and into the bagger. If there was moisture of any sort in the clippings, forget it - the tube plugged almost instantly. At the time, I was working second shift and needed to have the mowing done long before 2 o'clock.

The lift tabs were only added to one "special" blade that mounted to the right (discharge) side and boosted the airflow enough that the clippings would hopefully reach the bagger. The left side still used the standard blade.

I do not have one of those blades here to reference, but I seem to recall them being flat - or close to it. I do remember the tabs wearing out rather quickly at the bottom of the sail. (the extra vacuum produced by the tabs picked up more dirt which caused them to erode)

I can't offer much advice on getting your deck to work better. I attempted to use mine with the bagger about three times until I got fed up and removed the entire bagging system. I used it for a while until I found a good 42" side-discharge deck and the 37" deck was sold. :handgestures-thumbup:

dcrage

I have the High Lift blade with tabs and use it when picking up leaves (don't have enough grass to ever need to bag grass) -- My experince tells me that the tube clogs less using the High Lift blade with tabs than when using the normal blade -- I don't have any emperical data; just my perception -- I do know that heavy and wet will clog a lot more than lower volume and dry (just like Terry said) -- So I think you will clog up less using the lift tabs, but it doesn't gaurantee no clogging

FYI -- A clogged bagger tube makes the 37" SD into a pretty good mulcher system

Also; looking at the Parts Tree diagram, I think you are going to be needing to by that $97 blade (i.e. like Terry I don't think it is the same blade that you already have with holes drilled in it)

kpinnc

To add my $.02, it's unlikelt you'll be able to drill the stock blade. They're usually hardened, so a standard bit just won't cut it. Most extra holes are either drilled before hardening, or punched out on a fairly huge multi-ton press.

Unless you have access to a machine shop, I would try to find an OEM high-lift blade. Aside from balance issues, you wouldn't want parts getting flung off those blades. I would say I'm even a bit leary of the OEM high-lift blades. Just depends on what kind of abuse they're exposed to I guess.

Boston Horse

I agree kpinnc - I think I am going to pass on the high lift tabs... I did, however hear a bit about the Gator Blades - has anyone used them with a bagger? Any success? I am really looking for an aftermarket high lift blade, without tabs. The Gatorblades is the closest thing I could find.

kpinnc

I agree kpinnc - I think I am going to pass on the high lift tabs... I did, however hear a bit about the Gator Blades - has anyone used them with a bagger? Any success? I am really looking for an aftermarket high lift blade, without tabs. The Gatorblades is the closest thing I could find.

I've used Gator Blades on my 37SD deck, and they work well BUT they actually provide less lift than stock blades. They mulch the clippings far better, but due to the design they offer far less lift.

PM me the part number for the high-lift blade that works on your deck. I have a NOS blade (with the bolt-on tabs), but I'm not sure it's the same one you're looking for. It came with some parts I bought years ago, and has the number written on it with a Sharpie.

can whlvr

i personally never had any luck with baggers,never had a wheelhorse one but the others were useless,now i try to keep on the grass cutting and dont let it get too high and no need for bagging

dsholler

I was reading an article a while back (I will try to find it) that talked about how leaving the clippings to decompose meant that you could use significantly less (I think 20%) nitrogen fertilizer , and that it also added some water back into the soil.