Sign in to follow this  
Agage1

piston orientation

Agage1

hey everyone. just got my k 241 back from the machine shop a week ago and started putting it all back together this afternoon. everything is going smooth but i started reading the kohler manual after i came in tonight. it says that the piston should be installed in a certain orientation to the flywheel. it said that the piston should be marked with either and arrow or a notch indicating the correct position in relation to the flywheel. the piston my machinist supplied me has no markings that i can find and neither does my old piston. is it safe just to leave the piston in how i installed it or does it actually have to be oriented a certain way.

rmaynard

I have rebuilt several K241's and have never seen a mark or arrow on the piston. The only thing that is important is that the connecting rod oil hole is oriented closest to the cam shaft. My Kohler manual states that the "A" style piston (which is standard in the K241) can be installed in any direction.

Fordiesel69

If it is a style "a" piston it will not have an arrow, so either way is fine. A syle "c" or "d" will have an arrow.

Agage1

Thanks guys thats what i thought just wanted to make sure