Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Looking for a little advice on purchase of 520-H

sorekiwi

There are a bunch of subtle differences in the looms on the 520's.

Mine is a 90 but the wiring is more like the 89 schematic than the 90 one. Check out the "Demystification guide" in the files section, you will find half a dozen different schematics for various years of 520's

Save Old Iron

However both my 88's will accrue hours will key on engine off.

You are indeed correct - apparently the 88 - 89 years show as directly connected to the ignition switch.

anickel

If it was serviced faithfully they are a dependable machine. My 520 has almost 1400 on it and no major problems. Unless its a very wet snow the single stage tall shute blower will move allot of snow.

CasualObserver

In your first post you said 'I don't really need anything of this magnitude', so I say why take the chance?

Like it or not onan's are risky used, (just read RS) if your one of the unlucky ones $1200 -$1500 could soon turn into a great deal more, and for what?

They sound great and thats about it, most 12hp+ kohler powered :wh:'s will do just as good a job and save fuel to boot. :twocents-twocents:

+1 This is about word for word what I was thinking... only I'd lower it down to an 8-10 HP. Essentially you're pulling a trailer full of leaves. Cyclone rakes are self powered...right? Doesn't take 20HP to do that. Of course on the flip side.... if we were all sensible and economical about our hobby.... we'd only have one tractor each, right? Wasn't that the point of Wheel Horse's original marketing? One machine to do so many jobs?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

rmaynard

Well, I got more info today after I went and looked at it again.

It is a 1994 (73501-4900XXX). After seeing it out in the daylight, I found quite a few little things that would decrease the value in my opinion. Being 18 years old, 1455 hours means that it was used quite frequently. Over 80 hours per year. Around here, you have to have a lot of grass to put in 80 hours per season mowing. If not grass, then snow blowing.

This tractor was not originally sold by this dealer. He does not have, nor is he aware of any of the service history. He does know that it is a one owner, and says the owner did have it serviced regularly.

Don't know if it means anything, but the wiring harness looks too clean for an 18 years old.

post-2221-0-57922700-1344285082_thumb.jp

There is some rust under the hood and around the rear of dash, indicating to me that it was used in wet conditions, or left outside for a while.

post-2221-0-39868500-1344285763_thumb.jp

One headlight bezel is missing.

post-2221-0-31772900-1344285872_thumb.jp

The deck is a 1994 (78360), but has been welded and modified at the discharge.

post-2221-0-97838200-1344286144_thumb.jp

The engine is clean, but appears to have been power washed or steamed, so it's hard to tell if there has been any oil leakage.

post-2221-0-03545100-1344286240_thumb.jp

So, after careful consideration, I think that I am going to walk away from this deal at this price.

• Like 2

Sparky

So, after careful consideration, I think that I am going to walk away from this deal at this price.

Good move Bob. It actually doesnt look as nice or clean in these latest pics.

Mike.........

• Like 1

jay in nc

good move bob, i wish i turned down my 533 hour 1988 520. but i drove the whole way to newport-news va. to get it. turns out it was full of stp & an oil & filter change when i got it home an it rod knocks bad . Jay

TheReDStAnG

Good move Bob. It actually doesnt look as nice or clean in these latest pics.

Mike.........

:text-yeahthat: .

Ken B

After this second round of pics I gotta say, smart move Bob!

mattd860

Yeah 1500 is way too much for this particular 520H. If you want to spend $1500 on a 520H, there are much better ones out there. But, if you keep looking, there are some fantastic deals to be found with them too. Many people have these and don't realize their potential and sell them for cheap. You should be able to find a 520H in better condition for $700-$1000 if you keep looking around.