Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

The Evolving Suburban....

Ken B

This Suburban started out in life as a 1960 550. I'm not really a Techy/Lauson guy myself so she became a 400. Since the Big Show my son hasn't stopped telling me he wants a rat rod / hot rod Wheel Horse. Since seeing Vins SUPER RAT GASSER at the Zagray Farm show Cole kicked it up a few notches with asking for a Rat. Well, this isn't a rat rod (Resto mod maybe?) but let me tell you, he is now one happy 10 yr. old! The rear tires and rims are 23x10.50's off a 520. I had a spare set of front rims with no tires. While cruisin the local TSC today I saw these narrow tires that match the rears perfect! I have never seen a narrow set like this while at TSC so I had to make them mine. I used chrome paint for the rims and it don't look half bad. I'm going to bust out the welder and do a custom dual exhaust straight out the back for it. I'm also going to look for a few sets of spindles because I think it will look cooler with another 1.5 inches added. Foot throttle is a maybe as well as possibly adding a vintage 1960's red metal flake Superior 500 chrome steering wheel. I'm not cutting or hacking anything on this, I can easily switch it back to a regular old Suburban if I want to but if Cole has any say that ain't gonna happen. Nothing over the top here, just clean and cool. I'll add more pics as it evolves.

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0460-1.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

• Like 3

Jake Kuhn

Looking good ken! :bow-blue:

Ken B

Its funny, I was strolling thru the local Home Cheapo and I couldn't decide on paint color for the rims. Antique white or black rims. I couldnt decide. I then thought to myself, HMMMM what would Cole want? That is when I reached for the chrome paint! He loves the color! I sure wish I could afford some real chrome. These rims wouldn't be good canidates for chroming. They were badly pittled and I had to use easy sand filler to fill them in.

AMC RULES

Powder coat comes in chrome now...colored chrome too.

Tractor is cool Ken, just needs a big twin stuffed in there now.

rmm727

I just saw those same tires the other day at TSC as well. Wondered how they would look on my RJ project. Think I just got my answer. Looks good.

clintonnut

Won't be long until he wants to change the engine and trans pulleys! Doesn't take much to make one of them move! The cheesegrader has a 4" engine pulley and a 2" trans pulley.

Coadster32

Looks pretty cool from here. The foot rests look like jacobson cheif.

VinsRJ

That thing look right on Ken. I'm thinking dumping the front end is in order!

Ken B

I think you might be right Vin. Cole is a little worried about flippin it backwards so I think I'm gonna drop it instead. :)

AMC RULES

A wheelie bar would look good on there too.

Ken B

Today I fabbed up a foot throttle. I also added a rev limiter so Cole isn't always into it at 3600. These are so much more fun to ride around like this! Tomm. it gets the dual pipes out the back. I'm gonna add some head lights and I'm gonna fab up a trunk box lid.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

KC9KAS

Looks good...Maybe paint it BLACK.

post-2107-0-48988000-1343527522.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

Cole is lovin that throttle! I can hear it now....

Ken B

Cole now has his dual exhaust. It sounds pretty cool especially with the foot controlled throttle. I'm going to add some chrome tips to the pipes as well. I'll take a quick video later.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Wheelhorse84

That looks great. What color paint is on the wheels?

Ken B

The paint is Rustoleum Chrome paint. For chrome in a can its actually not bad!

stevebo

I stopped by Ken's today and took this bad boy for a little ride :auto-biker: ... It looks very cool and sounds even better !!Now all I will hear from my son is he wants one...

Ken B

Hey Steve, I think you might have an extra Suburban or two kickin around! :ychain:

Coadster32

Awesome build!! Nice and clean. :handgestures-thumbupright:

earlleecliffton

:ychain:

johnscag

amazing Job!!!

what kind of tires are those?

speedyleedy

Great looking little horse ! :)

stevebo

Those tires are off a 95 520 I think ..

wh22366

Ken, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy some of your design features for my old 551! I like the 520 type rears and 10.5 tires but those rims are a bit scarce (with that minimum WH backspacing) so I guess I'll go with 7" rims and 8.50's. I'm going to use ag's as I already have tri-ribs up front and mostly fields for the grandson to cover. Where, might I ask, did you find that back rest support?

Wayne

sgtsampay

Man, I love tht foot throttle idea. Hmmm, great idea for a plow tractor.